Sort of a life change.

Maybe not 10 years ago, but these days if I were to say I need a walk break or a mental health break nobody would bat an eye
Do you say that before or after you throw an annoying customer across the room?

--------------

I still have cravings for bread and biscuits but can't eat anything with wheat in so the cravings come and go and have done since 2009 when I gave up wheat :(

Do you say that before or after you throw an annoying customer across the room?

--------------

I still have cravings for bread and biscuits but can't eat anything with wheat in so the cravings come and go and have done since 2009 when I gave up wheat :(
Many people who can't eat wheat can eat einkorn flour. It's a non hybridized form of wheat.

The mind is just part of the body, so it is harder for some people if their genetics feed addictive issues. I've seen some people who simply could not control themselves with alcohol or drugs, and who didn't have the sense to avoid it.
I quit smoking 30 years ago last week - cold turkey. Smokes were the only physical addiction I fell into. Things like booze, fast food, sugary drinks and such never got the fangs in. I'll try to keep extra weight off, stay fit enough to do what I want, live long and spend my money on fishtanks.

You're doing the right thing, Jay.

The mind is just part of the body, so it is harder for some people if their genetics feed addictive issues. I've seen some people who simply could not control themselves with alcohol or drugs, and who didn't have the sense to avoid it.
I quit smoking 30 years ago last week - cold turkey. Smokes were the only physical addiction I fell into. Things like booze, fast food, sugary drinks and such never got the fangs in. I'll try to keep extra weight off, stay fit enough to do what I want, live long and spend my money on fishtanks.

You're doing the right thing, Jay.
Not sure that I'd call it a right thing or wrong; just a decision I made. 2 weeks now and no issues. In fact I've even lost 5-6 pounds.

That's an interesting result - most ex-smokers gain a little.

Decided it was time. ;) Tomorrow will be a week since I've had either a cigarette or a drink. Sort of odd, or mayhaps not, but I've experienced zero discomfort or cravings.

The reason for the 'mayhaps not' is that my local Veteran's Administration is mainly a rehab and psych center. They have an addiction risk rating and mine is zero risk. This means that it is next to impossible for me to become addicted. I attribute that largely to the fact that for MANY years I've held the belief that my mind controls my body, not the other way around.
There is a gene that controls risk, I carry it. I quit cold cigarettes cold turkey Jan 15, 2012, I did use lozenges as needed for 6 months then I quit them. I never had a problem walking away from alcohol, but after quitting smoking all the way once you can't talk me into having to do it again. It was not fun.

My family genetic curse is type 2 diabetes. I've eaten a mostly diabetic diet for many years, and have really watched my weight. I can walk 15 kilometres and not be sore after. But the genes play out and I've only been able to delay the arrival. It's here.

Those sugary drinks. They'll do a lot of damage. I think they'll kill you quicker than the alcohol people put into them sometimes. They're tasty, but they pack it on to you. I quit them in my 20s, a good move.

I still get cigarette cravings, but they tend to be when I watch old movies now. I think they should print the colours of decayed and dead fish on cigarettes, to take the cool away. Even Humphrey Bogart couldn't have looked cool smoking a 3 day dead Corydorasigarillo.

I feel left out here. I have no bad habits to give up . I am as perfect a mental and physical specimen as can be found anywhere. What else would you expect from The Emperor of France ?

I get you though. I gave up marathons before I'd even started, because it didn't seem fair to the other runners.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back