Sorry to be unoriginal but....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

beetlesteve

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've only had her about 3 weeks, it used to be very hard to tell the difference between her and the male (before I read up on the genothingymajigy that livebearers have! :D ) but now she's got quite big! Is that what they call a gravid patch?

If she is how long do you think it will be till there are little ones? Also she's been hiding up by the filter, should I cover it with a stocking or something to prevent any babies getting sucked up?

Cheers,

Steve :nod:

it would let me post the picture :no: it's here http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QgAAAEgUzaw...410494483395817

Yes steve she's pregnant alright :D :D From a side on view its hard to tell how long it will be an estimate would be any day to up to 1 1/2 weeks away! Its not very accurate!! but if you can get some more pictures I can probably time it a bit better :) especially ones from the back and front. I presume you want some baby to survive so the stocking/tights over a filter is a good idea, I found that by doing this from a batch you'll probably find it saves about 15-20% :thumbs:

Definatly do the stocking trick I learned the hard way on that :eek:
I lost about 6 fry to the tanks intake tube..Was horrible

Thanks Guys! I'll try and get some more pics of her from the front then, I've put her into the breeding net now just in case!

I bought 2 red wagtail platys at the beginning of january (a male and female). 2 weeks later she'd had 7 fry. Approximately 3 1/2 weeks after that, she had 3 more fry, now she's pregnant again and due to deliver any day soon judging by the size of her. I thought she was a complete tart until I read that female platys have evolved to be able to store enough sperm from one mating, to enable them to have monthly pregnancies for up to 9 months.

I bought a nursery tank for the first brood, and 3 have survived and are thriving. Once I'd read what she was capable of, I didn't bother to keep any more in the nursery tank - i'll be swamped with fry before i know it!!!! I think all of the last brood got eaten by other males in the tank. Brutal I know.

Lucy

Fish fry disease.....

First Batch- you love and cherish
Second- you like
Third- you have a little too many
Fourth- a lot of free fish food

(you want more and more till you have too much)
:p :lol: ;) :lol: :p

:lol: Ain't that the truth! I have got the small batch ,as you already know but I want more..Hubby is already to feed the next batch to the betta's! :angry: He touchca my fish I breacka his finger's ! He can just leave my babies to me and go back to the TV :nod:

Let him watch animal planet if he wants to see something get eaten! :p

Ya, i wanted to yell when i gave my grandma and cousins some guppy and molly fry and they flushed them down the toilet(LIVE) because they diddnt want to feed them, it was too much work!!
:grr: :grr: :eek:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back