Sorority tank!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CatScott

Reaction score
IMG_5940.jpg
So here is the tank, 123litre Fluval flex. Plants are growing in well, swapped out a large rock for more plants so that there will be more cover for the girls. The current inhabitants will be moved to a separate tank once the Betta's arrive. Return from the filter pump is angled at the surface at the moment, but will be putting foam rolls on to act as baffles so the water movement isnt to great. I have picked out 13 female betta's (pretty much all candy koi colourings) that will be being shipped from Thailand on the 15th Sept. Is there anything else I should do to prepare for their arrival? Any meds I should have so that I have treatments in place in case of problems? Also in terms of feeding, Im going to mainly be feeding frozen food which comes in the little ice cube like blocks. As I want to be careful of over feeding as I understand they are prone to over eating can I defrost a block in a small bowl of water and keep that in the fridge for 2-3 days and just suck up what I need each feed with a baster?

Great looking tank. You should enter it in our Tank of the Month Contest which starts around Sept 1st. Look for the banner at the top of the forums announcing the contest and then click on it.

Right now we have a poll set up for Betta of the Month. There are fourteen beautiful Betta entries. Please review all the entries and then cast your vote. Click on banner at top of forums to check out the contest.

View attachment 93414 So here is the tank, 123litre Fluval flex. Plants are growing in well, swapped out a large rock for more plants so that there will be more cover for the girls. The current inhabitants will be moved to a separate tank once the Betta's arrive. Return from the filter pump is angled at the surface at the moment, but will be putting foam rolls on to act as baffles so the water movement isnt to great. I have picked out 13 female betta's (pretty much all candy koi colourings) that will be being shipped from Thailand on the 15th Sept. Is there anything else I should do to prepare for their arrival? Any meds I should have so that I have treatments in place in case of problems? Also in terms of feeding, Im going to mainly be feeding frozen food which comes in the little ice cube like blocks. As I want to be careful of over feeding as I understand they are prone to over eating can I defrost a block in a small bowl of water and keep that in the fridge for 2-3 days and just suck up what I need each feed with a baster?
Beautiful tank but you are going to need a whole lot more plants for those girls. You have to actually break the view line of seeing others. It needs to be like a jungle. My avatar is my sorority tank. I had lot and lots of plants and caves. They will fight for territorial rights so be prepared. Good luck!

Personally I would only use the frozen food on the day it's defrosted. I use about 1/6 of a cube for 7-8 fish and I cut it with a knife whilst it's frozen, then just defrost that section.
Medication has a short shelf life and you may never need it, I would keep in aquarium salt though.

Great tank!
I agree tho, needs more jungle.
The frozen food cubes, what I do is cut them with scissors, bit by bit until I have the big enough portion. But I only have 4 bettas. You will have 13.. you might finish a cube in one round.. depends of course on the appetite of your girls.

Ok, I wasn’t going to mention this but I quit using frozen foods because my sorority was wiped out by columnaris. The only thing we could trace it to was possibly the frozen blood worms and the fact that fish in sororities live in a stressful environment. None of my tanks get frozen food anymore. It was dreadful to watch the faces of my beautiful girls get eaten away. Nothing helped. Furan-2 and Kanaplex was recommended but it seemed to just make the columnaris angrier. I had to euthanize some beautiful but half rotted female bettas. I spent a fortune buying those fish from breeders. My sorority lasted 7 months. I really encourage you to stay away from frozen food. Best of luck and I truly hope your sorority has a better ending. There is nothing more beautiful than a tank of assorted colored bettas.

Oh no Deanasue, thats terrible. I don't think I have any other option that frozen food though, is there a prepared food that meets their dietary requirements?

Thanks for the tip re the plants, most of these are doubling in size each week so I'm hoping that by the time my fish arrive in 3 weeks the plants will have taken over more, if not I will nip out and grab a couple more.

Oh no Deanasue, thats terrible. I don't think I have any other option that frozen food though, is there a prepared food that meets their dietary requirements?

Thanks for the tip re the plants, most of these are doubling in size each week so I'm hoping that by the time my fish arrive in 3 weeks the plants will have taken over more, if not I will nip out and grab a couple more.
I fed New Life Spectrum betta food and Omega One micro pellet food. I fed the blood worms a few times a week. I have been told that the highest risk is in the bloodworms. Perhaps feed the frozen brine shrimp instead. @Colin T explained options to me. What were some others, @Colin[U] [/U]T?

Last edited:
@Colin_T please see above. I hate trying to type your name out. Never wants to take underscore. I know you did it just to drive us nuts! Lol

There are heaps of different frozen foods to use, and there are different brands of each too. I had problems with some brands of frozen bloodworms but other brands were fine. My fish used to bloat up and die after being fed one variety of frozen bloodworms, but several other brands didn't cause any problems. Eventually I dropped them from their diet and used other foods.

Mysis shrimp and brineshrimp are both available frozen and are from saltwater so have virtually no chance of introducing diseases into a freshwater aquarium.

Marine Mix was a staple food I used. It contains prawn/ shrimp, fish and squid/ octopus blended up and frozen into cubes. Marine Green is the same but has spinach or marine algae as well as the meats.

Fantastic, thanks for this I will swerve on the blood worms. One other question, is it worth having a hospital tank up and running. If I need to treat a fish with it being a large tank, should I take one out to treat separately so I don't medicate the whole tank, but then have the issue of re introducing the fish? Just trying to be prepared for worst case scenarios as I know they are likely to be a feisty bunch and its unlikely to all go to plan!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back