Sometime In The Future, May Get Saltwater Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Inchyally

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
This would be way in the future as I just purchased a new freshwater tank 2 or 3 weeks ago. But I love saltwater fish... so I will ask few questions.

I saw a 29g tank, a Biocube, for $230. Would this be a good tank to start with? I don't really have room for anything bigger, I have 2 other tanks already. And saltwater fish must not be popular here because I have only seen this and smaller setups).

Would the following fish be compatible and not overstocking -
1 Flame Dwarf Angel
2 Percula Clownfish
or
1 Bangai Cardinalfish
2 Dartfish
Could I add anything else?

I also like the Sixline Wrasse, but I heard they are very aggressive.

One more question, what is good, preferably affordable live rock and anemones?

Thanks. :thanks:

It's a good sized tank, but may need some modifications to work :nod:

Flame Dwarf Angels would be OK in a conventional 30g tank, but in a cube they don't really have the space they need :sad: Clowns will be fine in there, as will the Cardinals. I'm not sure on Jawfish though.

Live Rock is recommended. It's bought most affordably on Ebay and Aquarists Classifieds for most people in most countries. Ideally you want 1KG per 10l of water. However Anemone's aren't easy or recommended unless you have a mature tank and lot's of experience under your belt. They do notoriously badly in captivity and can crash a tank in the likely event they die :sad: The best ones to try are Bubble Tips, but I still wouldn't advise you to go buy one unless you have a tnak that's been going a year plus and have good lights (minimum 4 T5's). Contrary to popular belief, clownfish do not need an anemone to be happy :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Hey man, I'm from the US as well. I don't know about your part of NY, but there are tons of northern NJers that have reefs. Check out njreefers.org (hope this isn't a violation).

I would look there for used equipment (even tanks) and livestock. There is always someone selling live rock or the like.

Thank you. :D

I did see one other tank that looked more like a conventional 30gal, called an Instant Ocean marine aquarium, 29g, but I can't find any reviews on it so I don't know if it is quality or not... if you know anything about it, I would get this one instead if it is better. :)

I think I will go without an anemone if I get the tank, unless I have it established for a good while. I'll go without the Flame Dwarf Angel, unless the second tank is better quality than the biocube, if it is better, I may consider. :) If not, I'll go with the 2 Clownfish and the Banggai Cardinalfish. If I chose that stocking, could I fit anything else? Thanks. :D

Are there any other good fish and inverts? I like starfish.

what equipment does the biocube come with? upgraded lights? stand? etc..

you might find it cheaper to buy a 30 gallon and piece it together individually.

what equipment does the biocube come with? upgraded lights? stand? etc..

you might find it cheaper to buy a 30 gallon and piece it together individually.

Stand is optional, but I don't think I need it. It comes with a heater, protein skimmer, hood, and filter.

id always build up my equipment individually, its very rare you get a decent plug in and play marine tank. Buddyboys cubs may be an exception though as thats lovely

I did see one other tank that looked more like a conventional 30gal, called an Instant Ocean marine aquarium, 29g, but I can't find any reviews on it so I don't know if it is quality or not... if you know anything about it, I would get this one instead if it is better. :)

I think I will go without an anemone if I get the tank, unless I have it established for a good while. I'll go without the Flame Dwarf Angel, unless the second tank is better quality than the biocube, if it is better, I may consider. :) If not, I'll go with the 2 Clownfish and the Banggai Cardinalfish. If I chose that stocking, could I fit anything else? Thanks. :D

With two clowfish and a bangaii you could probably have one more fish. However, sometimes clownfish will become aggressive over time, so I would make sure to add them last to give the other fish time to settle in. Recommendations for another fish are royal grammas, jawfish (althought they need a 4" sand bed), gobies (like the yellow watchman goby) or firefish.

For inverts, theres the standard 'clean up crew' of crabs and snails. You could probably have a starfish like a Brittle starfish or serpent starfish. Brittle and serpent starts will eat leftover food. Most other starfish will probably starve because they have more exclusive diets.
You could also have shrimp like White Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, they are pretty cool, they'll clean off your fish (and your hands!) Feather dusters are another good choice, they are very pretty but they require target feeding.

Also, make sure you read up on cycling the tank before you add any fish. :good:

With two clowfish and a bangaii you could probably have one more fish. However, sometimes clownfish will become aggressive over time, so I would make sure to add them last to give the other fish time to settle in. Recommendations for another fish are royal grammas, jawfish (althought they need a 4" sand bed), gobies (like the yellow watchman goby) or firefish.

For inverts, theres the standard 'clean up crew' of crabs and snails. You could probably have a starfish like a Brittle starfish or serpent starfish. Brittle and serpent starts will eat leftover food. Most other starfish will probably starve because they have more exclusive diets.
You could also have shrimp like White Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, they are pretty cool, they'll clean off your fish (and your hands!) Feather dusters are another good choice, they are very pretty but they require target feeding.

Also, make sure you read up on cycling the tank before you add any fish. :good:

Yep, I have already read up on cycling marine tanks. :) A goby would make a nice addition. I like neon Gobies and Mandarin Gobys, but I heard the latter should be left to the experts (tell me if this is true). Would a Blenny work as well?

Neon gobies are great fish. Mandarin gobies have specialized diets, and like you said, better left to the experts.
A blenny would work as well, I had a midas blenny in my 37g tank for over a year and he was great.

There are also Algae Blenny's, hard working and very personal additions to any tank. They come in a "Juwled" form also :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back