Somethings wrong...

Anonymous Fox

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hai
So, one of my grandparents female fancy guppies look not well.
She's really skinny and really long. And a chunk of her gill is missing.
She's acting fine, but doesn't look like it.
The photos are blurry, sorry.
20211006_112101.jpg

Should I move her to a hospital tank?
I'd the water parimaters, but the tank is around 30 gallon, and is a dome front tall tank.
Tank mates are 20ish more guppy, 2 boenous Aries tetras, and 2 glotetra

Hai
So, one of my grandparents female fancy guppies look not well.
She's really skinny and really long. And a chunk of her gill is missing.
She's acting fine, but doesn't look like it.
The photos are blurry, sorry.
View attachment 144773
Should I move her to a hospital tank?
I'd the water parimaters, but the tank is around 30 gallon, and is a dome front tall tank.
Tank mates are 20ish more guppy, 2 boenous Aries tetras, and 2 glotetra
What are the tank parameters? And could you attempt to get a close up of the wound? I would recommend moving her to a quarantine tank, so she doesnt get bullied.

I'd need a much better picture than that to make any really useful comment, although missing a chunk of gill sound like either a bacterial infection or fight wound...or both.
Are you talking actual gill, or the operculum/gill cover?
If the rest of the fish are fine, there's nothing to be lost by placing her in a hospital tank, with salt in the water to facilitate healing.

Make sure the qt tank is cycled though

But if
Not necessary for a QT.
Remember, if we're treating a bacterial infection, then anti-bacteria measures must be taken...
I'm sure you can work out the rest. ;)
its not cycled wont the fish die due to an ammonia issue? Ive always heard to cycle quarantine tanks

Not necessary for a QT.
Remember, if we're treating a bacterial infection, then anti-bacteria measures must be taken...
I'm sure you can work out the rest. ;)
But you know more than me, so I'm going to just stay cautiously curious on this subject

But if

its not cycled wont the fish die due to an ammonia issue? Ive always heard to cycle quarantine tanks
Sorry...I was mistaken when I referred to a Quarantine Tank, (QT).
I'm talking Hospital Tank. That said, some still insist that a HT should be fully cycled, but they all seem to forget that treatments may occur and these will often kill the bacteria. We're talking one fish in water and sometimes medications and water changes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back