Something To Keep The Algae Down...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Andypalf

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi. I moved my two fantails into a bigger tank about a month ago and they're doing great. However, with the new tank there's a little bit of algae developing.

I've just got two Amano shrimp for my tropical tank...can I get one for my goldfish tank? I've love to get something to keep the algae down but don't really want to add a fish to this tank.

Any suggestions are welcome, cheers.

The algae is probably just a temporary thing caused by an imbalance in the ecology of the new tank. As the tank matures, it should go away as long as you are not overfeeding or under-maintaining the tank. In a mature tank, there are lots of different microbes and bacteria that eat the nutrients but since you moved the fish, those other things aren't growing yet so algae is going to jump up in numbers first. Just use a sponge on a stick apparatus to clean the algae but leave at least one of the panes of glass with algae since algae also helps the ecology of the tank... and controlling the growth on one area is better than having it uncontrolled all over your tank. When I have algae growth, I let it grow on the back glass and keep the sides and front clean.

I don't think shrimp will last very long in a goldfish tank. Even amano's may be too small to survive a hungry goldfish. I've never tried them so I can't say for certain

If you want to add a critter to help eat the algae, go for some Apple/Mystery Snails. The goldfish will curiously peck at the snails in the beginning but for the most part, they peacefully coexist and the snails learn to pull in their antennae whenever the fish come around.

Well folks, I added a small Amano shrimp to my goldfish tank and it's all been good so far. I took the largest shrimp I had to give him a decent fighting chance against my two crazy fish. He's about an inch from head to the end of his tail and he's doing fine. The fish don't bother him and the temperature seems to be fine. He's just as active as those in my tropical tank.

So if anyone else is thinking of doing the same it can be done. But if I'm honest I'm still a littel wary, everyday I check to see if the fish have got him. But, it's been a week now and he's doing great and already showing a little bit of growth since he's been in there. :)

How big are your goldfish? Normally, goldfish will eat anything they can fit in their mouth.... sometimes they'll spit it out if they don't find it tasty or can chew it with their single tooth... like my MTS snails... but I'm sure it's stressful for a small snail or shrimp to get "mouthed" and spit out.

I've got two fantails adn they're about 2 inches each (not including their tails). The shrimp has been in there for about 2 weeks now. He's happy, he's growing and I don't think the goldfish even know he's there.

They're definately not the smartest fish I've kept. In fact they're probably the most stupid I've come across. But the shrimp is about 1 inch long so I reckon they know he's there. Like I said, everyone seems to be happy.

So when it gets eaten can we say told you so?

It will happen, one day.

Please do. I know it's still only days but everyone is very happy in there.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back