Something Betta

betta4ever!

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
While reading old post, I saw the "Bad abvise in the "Betta care" thread" thread, and read @itiwhetu's post where they said that the ideal set up for bettas is a 200 litres tank with 2 males. They claimed that the fish should be able to fight cause that's what they would do in the wild. Well I accept thet for wild bettas, but not the domestic ones. And they were obviously talking about the domestic ones. Domestic bettas are far more aggressive than wilds and don't even live in the wild. So how can we know what thew would do in the wild?? Not trying to offend anyone or start an argument. I'm sorry if I did. I respect everyones opinion, even if I don't always agree.

I have bred and imported Betta splendens and in my opinion, give them enough space and protection from each other they will back off and then ignore each other. I love this forum site, there are a large number of members that read stuff and post stuff about what they read but have never actually kept the fish they are talking about.
I bred Betta splendens and raised the young in four 200 liter tanks, males with males with females. I gave them a lot of protection from each other and they were fine. When I imported fighters, we had a hotel for them to separate them from each other but they would jump into each other's compartments the only losses we suffered was when they ended up on the floor. Sure put two Betta Splendens in a 10 gallon and you have trouble, but why would anyone do that.

My claim originally is why would you keep a fish (that all it wants to do is fight and be with its mates) in a 5 gallon tank all alone, never being able to see another fish.

I've not kept 2 males in a 200 litres tank. I haven't, but I think it is very much possible, especially if the males have been together since they were fries. Of course, it needs to be really heavily planted and with a ton of hides, but you can do it. Though a back up plan is needed.

Now the part that I disagree. As I said those fish don't naturaly live in the wild so we do not know what they would do if they lived in the wild. So we can not know what's best for them.
You said they want to fight and be with their mates. I completely disagree. They do not want to fight. They fight to be with their mates. So all they want is be with their mates to breed. When they fight they risk their lives. No living creature likes risking it's life. Can we atleast agree on this?

I have a few questions about your betta hotel, if you don't mind. You don't need to answer, if you don't want to. If I understand correctly, each betta had it's own space. How many gallons was this? You mean that 2 males would get in the same "tank" and you would have no losses? Also, I'd love to see a pic or two of the betta hotel. To better understand what you mean. It's ok if you don't have any. Some pics of those 200 litres tanks would be great too. (Only because I want to see your set up)

My claim originally is why would you keep a fish (that all it wants to do is fight and be with its mates) in a 5 gallon tank all alone, never being able to see another fish.
Well, I don't really like the idea of keeping a betta on it's own. That one of the reasons why I stopped keeping splendens. If I ever get splendens again, it'll be a male and a few females for a 50 gallon tank. But not more than one males, cause I think there's no reason to do so. As I mentioned above,( imo, of course, I can't know what a fish actually wants) the fish don't want to fight, they want to mate. And if you're wondering, I've kept Bettas for four years. Not enough to say I'm experienced or whatever, but I've learned a thing or two. I've mostly learned things by reading. Which is not like actually experimenting with things, but if you read as many hours as I do, it'll do. (In case you want to know, all I do in my free time is read about Bettas)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back