Something Awful Has Happened..

The post mortem has been done and hasn't really told me any more. They were both in perfect health. There was nothing wrong with them at all :(

I spoke to the guy at the rescue Mac was from to let him know and he said that it sounds as though Mac had a heart attack and died and Molly flapped around, stressed and pining for her mate, and probably had a heart attack herself.. But i guess we'll never know for sure... My poor birdies :sad: :-(

oh my god thats awful :-(
how devastating
it does sound rather strange
that they would both die like that of natural causes
i'm so sorry for your loss

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I know birds love fresh fruit, but please folks, if you don't already know, never ever give your birds mango.

Jessica, it could very well be that one died of natural causes and the other panicked and died with him. Birds get very attached to each other.

(((((hugs)))))

Nat

livelife said:
I know birds love fresh fruit, but please folks, if you don't already know, never ever give your birds mango.
I don't know if I'm the only person like this, but I dislike it when someone says "don't do that" and they do not give a valid reason. And even more so, does this statement apply across the board to all birds ??

I just did a quick google search and there are many websites that suggest including mango in the diet of fruit eating birds.

Could you please clarify that statement.

Oh sorry! I've been repeatedly told not to feed mango to birds because it's poisonous for them. Like chocolate is for dogs. I've never seen mango in bird food preparations. Papaya yes, Mango no. HTH. I don't know if it applies to all birds. I've been told this for my love bird & finches.

Nat

Have you given them any types of foods you wouldn't usually give them? Changed their diet at all? Let them in any part of the house you don't usually? Could they have chipped paint off of something, eaten anything?

It does seem pretty odd that they would both die like that overnight. And I'm not sure how much a vet could tell from an ecropsy done on a bird that has been deceased for over a day... seems kind of odd that the vet wouldn't want to do it same day and wouldn't want to send any samples out to a lab or anything. Just looking at organs doesn't rule out if the birds were poisoned.

I'm really sorry to hear about your birds and I hope you find a cause :(

Auratus said:
seems kind of odd that the vet wouldn't want to do it same day and wouldn't want to send any samples out to a lab or anything.
The birds died on a sunday and it seemed kind of pointless to get them out on a sunday to look at dead birds. They did offer to send some cultures off to the lab but it wouldn't really have worked as there were so many things to test for so they didn't really know where to start. Neither bird showed any symptoms of any diseases and most fatal diseases would have showed signs in the internal organs anyway apparently.

The birds died of natural causes, one had a heart attack and the other stressed and died of a heart attack or exhaustion, probably aggravated by the heat over here at the moment anyway.

And they had been fed and housed that way for at least a couple of months and nothing had changed for them...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back