Someone Has Laid Eggs! Help Please

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ny82

1 Woman Army ;)
Reaction score
Hi folks, well after lowering my tank temperature to 24 over the past 2 days to suit my platies better, I noticed today that there are eggs on the tank wall. Now the only snails I have in the tank are MTS and I believe they are livebearers.  
The only egg layers I have are cherry barbs-2 males 4 females one very fat.
Bronze cories and albino cories. One of the bronze is one big fat cory! 

Can someone identify them please? I have never had eggs before I breed guppies and platies so this is very exciting!

They are clear with black bits. I went to remove them with a turkey baster but they are stuck fast. One of the albino cories just ate one so I have put algae wafers in to distract them.  Any ideas how I should remove them?

Here is the obligatory shaky photo :p

DSC02026_zps41ec65f3.jpg

There are some round the other side at the heater too. Thanks in advance.

Stuck on the glass?
Should be Corydoras as they like to lay them on surfaces like glass especially, as far as I am aware, Cherry Barbs scatter the eggs every where.

Sophie said:
Stuck on the glass?
Should be Corydoras as they like to lay them on surfaces like glass especially, as far as I am aware, Cherry Barbs scatter the eggs every where.

Yes they are stuck fast. I have removed them with an old card, put them into a breeder trap and into the fry tank. I have had cories for the last 2 years and this has never happened! My tank temp must have been too high!

Lower temps cause corys to breed not higher temps?

techen said:
Lower temps cause corys to breed not higher temps?

That explains it. I lowered my temp to 24 from 28 over the past 2 days.
I thought it was my cherry barbs as one of the females is huge and still not laid! I'm excited it's cory eggs as I have never had them before, I always kept my tank at 28 then realised platies like it lower hence why I lowered the temp.

Here they are in the fry tank. The tank temp in there is quite high at 28-29 degrees. I have hooked the fry trap on the thermometer in front of the filter, the eggs aren't blowing about too much. What do I need to do now?

DSC02027_zps07e43cef.jpg

No idea aha :D my Angels follow my Corys around and eat the eggs as they are lain :(

Sophie said:
No idea aha
biggrin.png

Me neither lol we shall see what happens! Unless someone moves this to the cory section if that's what they definitely are!
Topics moved now, hopefully someone from the cory section can advise what to do next!

Just found another 12!

I don't know how I missed these, they are already darker than the first lot. 

photo57_zpsa020cd8f.jpg

Is there anything else I need to do? My landlady is coming to give me some liquifry and something blue to stop fungus?

So after some reading and advice, I have hooked the breeding trap on the filter and put the airstone in the trap so the eggs have maximum aeration. 
They have started turning brown. 

I have read they take 3-5 days to hatch! This is all new to me so I am hoping an experienced member can give me some pointers!

If you have any moss plunk that in with the eggs.
Gives the fry a place to hide and the insofuria is a great food source.
They look like good fertile cory eggs. Congrats.
About three to five days to hatch.
The big fat cory is a girl.

Cory breeding behavior is loads of fun to watch. Shame though they will eat thier own eggs.
Keep the water clean, if any eggs turn white they are fungised and need to be removed.
Livebarer breeding is fine, but for my money nothing is cuter than cory fry.

frapadoodle said:
If you have any moss plunk that in with the eggs.
Gives the fry a place to hide and the insofuria is a great food source.
They look like good fertile cory eggs. Congrats.
About three to five days to hatch.
The big fat cory is a girl.

Cory breeding behavior is loads of fun to watch. Shame though they will eat thier own eggs.
Keep the water clean, if any eggs turn white they are fungised and need to be removed.
Livebarer breeding is fine, but for my money nothing is cuter than cory fry.

Thankyou so much for the reply, I hardly slept last night worrying about them. One of them seems to have something sticking out of it so no doubt I have accidentally squashed it. They are all dark, from what I can see past the bubbles. 

I will give you a little background into my cories. I used to have 6. 2 ambiacus, 2 with this spiral pattern which I can't remember the name and I had 1 albino and 1 bronze. They were fine for 2 years went through ich, high temps and salt. Fine. I moved to this place in February and they all died apart from the bronze. My landlady for this place has 4 tanks, 2 are now dedicated to cories. She has all sorts-the wild ones are huge, almost hand sized I have never seen them that big before. Anyway I gave her my "male"  bronze cory who's always been known as bruce, and as soon as he was integrated with hers-he laid about 100 eggs. I couldn't believe it so he is now beyonce. 
Beyonce came back to me 3 days ago along with 2 other bronze and 4 albino. As soon as they were in the tank the 2 other bronze were harassing her and I started getting worried, they were zooming about the place, then I saw the t position. I thought my barbs, guppies and platies would have ate the eggs but it was the albino cories eating them!
Sorry for the ramble but that's how I ended up back with them! If they hatch that would be so amazing, like I said I breed white platies and black guppies! The eggs are in the fry tank with about 30 guppy fry so the water is changed twice a day. 6 of the guppy fry are almost 2 1/2 months old, so are quite big, the 2nd batch are about 5 weeks old and the 3rd almost a month-will they eat the cory fry if they hatch?
So very excited! My first eggs ever!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back