1 upside down catfish
1 Kribensis
1 Bolivian Ram
1 Balloon Bolivian Ram
3 Khuli loaches
1 Yoyo loach
1 Weather loach

well about a month ago i also had a 1.5" crown tail female betta splendid
and one night as i was feeding them i discovered her up at the top of the tank (unusual behavior because she usually enjoys lurking in the caves and plants and driftwood at the bottom)
her fins were almost completly eaten off
and it wasn't just torn, there were obvious bite marks which were quite large
she is now recovering and has her strenghth back but is living in a bowl until i find her attacker
now before anyone mentions the gourami, much like bettas, they have random personalities
mine are very community
the do not bother the betta (or anyone else) at all
the only ones it could be are the flying fox, or the kribensis

my tank was very well balanced a few months ago, and it seems like out of nowhere, someone has gone homicidal
and right after i rehomed the female betta i discovered my poor corydoras had their top fins ripped
my largest bronze cory has almost his entire top fin eaten off

i hate to get rid of ANY fish but obviously this cannot go on
i have the krib in a breeding net
i have an inkling it was him
he was good for a while but he is getting bigger
and as cichlids get bigger, they get nastier
i haven't seen him tearing fins off of other fish so he must be sneaky, but i have seen him give them a quick nip

but then on the other hand i also have my flying fox who is getting frustrated ever since i adopted my friends full grown weather loach yesterday
the fin attacks happened a month ago,
so it probably was the kribensis
but the flying fox is capable of being territorial, as he has proven yesterday

you see i have alot of bottom feeders and dwellers
and i think the weather loach was too much
i was just trying to give him a better home
but if the tension doesn't die down i will give him (the weather loach) to the pet store

and yes i have plenty of rock caves, driftwood and plants
aswell as open waters from the mid-level up for the top dwellers to swim freely

what do you think?
do you think the kribensis should go to the petstore?

i wish they could all like in harmony
he's such a beautiful fish

EDIT:
i just wanted to add that i just saw my bolivian ram chomp on the new guy (weather loach)
third suspect? or knew tankmate confrontation?

hi
from my own experiences with my betta it turned out to be my krib.

black angel said:
hi
from my own experiences with my betta it turned out to be my krib.
i hope its just him
then i can just "do away" with the problem (donate him to the petstore)

Sorry Pointy_Kitty. Didn't mean to confuse you. I would agree it's probably the Krib, at least from my experiences with them. They can be nippy and aggressive.

I was just saying, if your gonna donate him to a store, I would be happy to take him off your hands. My male was killed by a VERY aggressive Botia Beauforti....I gave him to the LFS :grr: Unfortunately, you don't have your location listed in your profile :)

If you saw the bolivian ram chomp on the weather loach, it's probably a good chance it might be him. I know rams are pretty good natured, but maybe you got a bad apple. :shifty:

Mamaschild said:
Sorry Pointy_Kitty. Didn't mean to confuse you. I would agree it's probably the Krib, at least from my experiences with them. They can be nippy and aggressive.

I was just saying, if your gonna donate him to a store, I would be happy to take him off your hands. My male was killed by a VERY aggressive Botia Beauforti....I gave him to the LFS :grr: Unfortunately, you don't have your location listed in your profile :)
i'm in british columbia

Watch your Weather Loach - Mine went Mental and Attacked the China Shark.

Locked it's jaws onto its mouth and would not let go. The China Shark swam around trying to shake it off but could not. Mum had to seperate them with Knitting needle, and watched it all day till I Got Home.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back