Some Of My Local Rainbow Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Baccus

We are not born just so we can die
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I caught these guys a while ago as tiny little fellas that have now grown to impressive sizes, their subtle colours still blow me away when you catch them in just the right light at a good angle.

They are most likely Melanotaenia splendida

If they get any bigger I suspect the 4ft tank will no longer be big enough and they will have to go down to the 1000L pond.

That is awesome. You are so lucky to have rainbows practically in your backyard.

up that comment ^, also endlers mix with rainbows probably look super duper pretty!

Would you ship these guys out? Wild caught rainbowfish would be very cool in a tank.

These look exactly like my rainbow, who I've been struggling to identify! Lovely fish. :)

cooledwhip said:
Would you ship these guys out? Wild caught rainbowfish would be very cool in a tank.

No I would not ship any wild caught native fish over seas, my government would most likely take a very dim view of if.

ZephyrStarPlaties said:
These look exactly like my rainbow, who I've been struggling to identify! Lovely fish.
smile.png

M. splendida is quite common largely I think because they have such as large range in the wild. I have no idea however just how wide spread they would be overseas in the hobby, I do know however that most the of the rainbow fish readily hybridise and almost every creek system has its own subtle variations.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back