Some Info On Puffers?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HotStuffGal

Fishaholic
Reaction score
:p See I am a good Girl doing my research BEFORE hand! Anyways After a flood ripped through our furnished basement the room was now in serious need of repair! We are getting rid of a lot of stuff in there and my dad and I discussed putting up a new fish tank.

He wants to put up a 55 gallon for the barracudas which will free up the 20 gallon long which have been housing them for a month or two now. If This does happen the 55 gallon(new) will go into our furnished basment along with the 20gallon long and our previous 125 and other 55 gallon.

We agreeded that I could do what I wish with the 20gallon long. I have always wanted Puffers, always since I was younger. If I were to make it a puffer tank I would have sand and plenty of terra cotta pots with Live plants(?)

I Would Like Some More Info on Puffers, Breeding Habbits? Eating habbits? Just info in general. Also I hate to ask this for fear of getting an answer that ends in, Duh! But I will anyway. Could I keep an african frog with them?

Thanks Everyone, I would really love to have a species tank for puffers and fufill my dream that I have had for a very long time! ~Scarlett

well, since there are so many different types of puffers, some freshwater, some brackish, some large, some small, its hard to "generalize" them. might be easier if you looked at what was available at your lfs, then research them. there are some great pinned article here that will give you a pretty good list of puffer species that you can then take and go from there on your research.

Buying a puffer can be a bit of a mine field as no two fish stores will give you the same information.
Below is information on the most commonly found freshwater puffers taken from personal experience and from Aqualog's book, The Puffers of Fresh & Brackish Waters, considered to be the foremost puffer reference.
There are a great many more freshwater species, but these are the ones most commonly found in stores.
The aggression rating is based on an average of people's experience & opinions, but aggression & personality in puffers varies wildly from fish to fish.

As it is a list of freshwater species only, it also does not include those species that start in fresh & move to brackish such as GSPs & F8s, all the puffers listed live in freshwater for their entire lifespan

These puffers are listed in order of adult size, smallest first.

Dwarf Puffer Carinotetraodon travancoricus
Other names: Pea puffer, BB puffer, Pygmy puffer, Malabar puffer, Indian pygmy puffer.
Variants & confusions: Colour morph with blue spots. Sometimes related species Carinotetraodon imitator are often sold as c. travancoricus
Size: Up to 1 inch
Aggression: Moderate- can be kept in groups, but will attack the fins of other fish species.

Red-Eye puffer Carinotetraodon lorteti
Other names: Lorteti puffer, Crested puffer.
Variants & confusions: Male and female look totally different and are therefore sometimes sold as different species. Sometimes other puffer species which have red eyes are sold as red-eye puffers. Examples are t.palembangensis and c. irubesco.
Size: Up to 2 inches
Aggression: High- will attack other fish species, but can be kept in opposite gender pairs.

South American Puffer Colomesus asellus
Other names: Assel puffer, Brazillian puffer, Zebra puffer, Peruvian puffer
Venezuelian puffer.
Variants & confusions: None, but sometimes incorrectly sold as dwarf puffers.
Size: Up to 3 inches.
Aggression: Low to moderate- considered the most mild mannered puffer. Can be kept in groups and even with other fish, although may still fin-nip.

Leopard Puffer Tetraodon schoutedeni
Other names: Congo puffer (old name now asigned to t.miurus)
Variants & confusions: Often incorrectly sold as green spot puffers and vice-versa, but this is a true freshwater fish and is from Africa whereas the GSP is Asian.
Size: Up to 3.5 inches.
Aggression: Moderate- Can be kept in small groups in a large tank. Will attack other fish species.

Target Puffer Tetrodon leiurus
Other names: Twinspot puffer, Eyespot puffer.
Variants & confusions: Often confused with t.cochchinchinensis and sometimes with t.turgidis.
Size: Up to 6 inches
Aggression: High- keep alone, or in a very large tank. - will decimate other fish species.

Brown Puffer Tetrodon turgidis
Other names: None
Variants & confusions: Sometimes confused with t. cochchinchinensis and t. cutcutia.
Size: Up to 6 inches.
Aggression: Moderate- can be kept together if plenty of caves & plants are provided. Will attack other fish species.

Congo Puffer Tetrodon miurus
Other names: Red-brown puffer.
Variants & confusions: Various colour morphs including brown, red, black & marbled. Sometimes confused with t. suvattii
Aggression: Moderate- will eat small fish, but is very inactive.

Arrowhead Puffer Tetrodon Suvattii
Other names: Pignose puffer, Mekong puffer.
Variants & confusions: Sometimes confused with t. miurus
Aggression: Very high - keep alone. will kill & eat anything in the tank.

Dragon Puffer Tetrodon Palembangensis
Other names: Humpback puffer, Kingkong puffer, Real Palembang puffer, Black river puffer.
Variants & confusions: none
Size: Up to 8 inches.
Aggression: Low as juveniles to moderate/high as adults- will eat other fish species and is a very avid fin-ripper.

Nile Puffer Tetrodon Lineatus
Other names: Fahaka puffer. Lined puffer, Coral butterfly.
Variants & confusions: None in the hobby.
Size: Up to 1.5 feet.
Aggression: Very high- Most specimens will attack & kill anything in the tank, some will even ram the aquarium glass in an attempt to attack passers-by. Keep alone.

Giant Puffer Tetrodon Mbu
Other names: Mbu puffer, Gold ringed puffer.
Variants & confusions: None.
Size: Over 2 feet.
Aggression: Very variable, mostly moderate- the size of this fish means that only one can be kept in home aquaria. Will eat other fish of a suitable size, but may tolerate tankmates of a similar size.

Nile Puffer Tetrodon Lineatus
Other names: Fahaka puffer. Lined puffer, Coral butterfly.
Variants & confusions: None in the hobby.
Size: Up to 1.5 feet.
Aggression: Very high- Most specimens will attack & kill anything in the tank, some will even ram the aquarium glass in an attempt to attack passers-by. Keep alone.

Hope you have strong glass sir hate to hear that you have been attacked by martha through the glass :blink:

Jon

I would have sand and plenty of terra cotta pots with Live plants(?)

Terra-cotta pots are merely a suggestion that people make because they're easy to get a hold of. I have some in my puffer tank. I think they're kind of tacky, personally, and when I get a new tank for my lonely dwarf I'll definitely ditch the terra-cotta and add more plants to take their place.

But hey, some people like terra-cotta pots, I'm sure, so it's up to you. Ask more questions when you've got your choices narrowed down a bit!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back