Soft water with high pH

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ferg42995

Reaction score
I am cycling a new tank so don't yet have fish. I am planning to add tetras, rasboras, corys, and other soft water fish. While my water is soft (81 ppm or 4.5), I tested the pH in the tap water and it is 7.9 which is higher than most soft water fish prefer. Will they do OK and "get used to it" or do I need to do something to try and bring and keep it down? Thank you!

They will be fine.
Test your tap water after letting it stand in a glass for 24 hours. Water companies often add substances to the water supply to temporarily raise the pH as acidic water corrodes pipework. This typically gasses out within 24 hours.

Thank you for the input. I will let the tap water sit out and then see how it reads. That would be a wonderful and easy solution if that brought it down just a bit!

I'm a bit nervous to use live plants. There is already so much to learn about water, types of fish who will live together IN that water, how many of each kind, what foods to feed them, etc. I am already on information overload. I'm afraid trying to learn about plants and which ones and how to plant and feed and trim, etc. would send me over the edge. Maybe I can start replacing my plastic ones with real ones after about a year of getting my tank up, running, stable, etc.

There are a lot of easy to care for plants that will also improve your water quality. I had plastic plants in my tanks for many years and only switched completely to live plants in the last two years. Many plants are fine with little real need to maintain since they draw what they need from the water and your fish waste provide them with what they need. Plants also absorb ammonia and CO2 and provide oxygen to the fish. Some plants may need plant tabs and I add flourish comp to my tank twice a week to ensure my plants get all they need. I have no interest in going back to plastic after seeing all the positives live plants provide.

I got my tank planted. My fish don't get stuck in them either! New to the hobby, but java fern, moss balls and frog bite are what I started with so far. Nothing dead yet!

Attachments

• 20201022_181144.jpg
    20201022_181144.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 94
I got my tank planted. My fish don't get stuck in them either! New to the hobby, but java fern, moss balls and frog bite are what I started with so far. Nothing dead yet!
Nice start, I see you used moss balls for your "trees" I like that. I have some moss balls in all my tanks except my turtle tank . I would suggest moving the one Java Fern back to open up the front area a little more.

Yeah. They are tuff plants that you need to roll anyway to keep their shape. I just opened it up so it would anchor to the driftwood. Make sure to wedge it in or it will float! Happy crafting

cool plants!!! And thanks for the idea to test tap water for pH after it sits out for 24 hours. It is sitting out to be tested tomorrow night.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back