Soaking Wood...help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shi24137

Fishaholic
Reaction score
When soaking wood in the tub, should I put something on top of it to keep it under water or will it eventually sink? Also I've read that you should soak it for 10 days? Someone please help me, this is my first time attempting...

I would weigh it down with something for awhile. It cant hurt. Use hot water, and change it everyday.

Duration of the soaking varies. You might leach all of the tannins, but it still floats. Or, vise versa.

But eventually it will hold enough water to sink.

I would suggest putting it in a large rubber container or a large cooler to soak if you want to use your tub anytime soon. Soaking time can really vary so it could take awhile. The first pieces I soaked took a couple of months to finally sink, and yes they were weighted down.

If it fits, put it in the cisternn on your toilet. Will get clean water everytime you flush the toilet.
As long you dont mined tanned water in your toilet

Steve

it's a pretty big piece of wood, takes up the length of the tub...lol

If it fits, put it in the cisternn on your toilet. Will get clean water everytime you flush the toilet.

Steve

Steve
Wow, that's not a bad idea. I never would have thought of it.
+2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gee, what a great idea.
for smaller bits. its genius.
first time i ever wished we had a "rep" button here.

I soak big bits like that in a water butt in the garden. Gets washed in rain water occasionally.

edit, frequently at the moment.

I soak big bits like that in a water butt in the garden. Gets washed in rain water occasionally.

edit, frequently at the moment.

just lately, here, just hanging it out would have done.

Steve

Steve
+2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gee, what a great idea.

The only trouble with that is a cysten is designed to hold & use a certain amount of water, putting a bit of wood in there will drasticly lower the performance of the flush.

Apart from that, awsome idea.

Tom

Steve

Steve
+2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gee, what a great idea.

The only trouble with that is a cysten is designed to hold & use a certain amount of water, putting a bit of wood in there will drasticly lower the performance of the flush.

Tom

no, actually its not "trouble". there have been gadgets, for years, aimed at reducing the amount of water in the cistern. its a government backed way to save water.
the water in the tank is limited by the float (ballcock" hight), not tank size.
anyway, if you do find you cant move those "stubborn movements", after you add your wood.
bend the float slightly upward. as long as it does not foul the lid (lol disaster as the water never stops) all will be good.

Steve

Steve
+2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gee, what a great idea.

Tom

no, actually its not "trouble". there have been gadgets, for years, aimed at reducing the amount of water in the cistern. its a government backed way to save water.
anyway, if you do find you cant move those "stubborn movements", after you add your wood.
bend the float slightly upward. as long as it does not foul the lid (lol disaster as the water never stops) all will be good.

But if the water never stops, then thats a continuous supply of fresh water. lol

Steve

Steve

Steve
+2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gee, what a great idea.

Tom

Please provide a link to these "gadgets", I am curious.

Tom

Steve

Steve
+2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gee, what a great idea.

Tom

Please provide a link to these "gadgets", I am curious.

Tom

http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-Any-Toilet-to-a-Low-Flush-Toilet

Or you could use a brick.

Or even a piece of bog wood lol

Steve

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back