So...water Hardness?

Nyte

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Everyone :)

Time for me to pop out of lurk mode for a question or three!

So about 6 months ago, I finally gave in and got a 90 gallon tank. Which I love!! I've hesitated for years to get a decent size because of costs, but I did it!

My water is very very hard. I did a bunch of water tests and the results for things related to hardness are:
Total Hardness (GH): 300+ ppm
Total Alkalinity (KH):300+ ppm
pH: 8.4ish

Should I be concerned about this hardness? Should I add peat to my filter? If yes, anything I should be aware of when using peat? I've been always told as a general rule of thumb, messing with pH is asking for trouble. Is this true? Anything else I can do to lower all these numbers?

So here's my tank info:
  • Filter: Fluval Canister - 405 (with the inserts it came with 3X foam, 3x carbon.
  • Lighting: Power Compact Strip Lights: 2X65watt (I'm considering getting a 4x65watt but I'm not sure I want to get into the whole pressurized C02 thing)
  • Substrate: Flourite and Gravel mix.
  • Plants: (I don't have scientific names anymore, sorry) a sword, crypts, vals, anubis, java ferns. The selection of plants near where I live really sucks : /
  • Fish: 12 neons, 1 angel, 6 swordtails, 2 bushynose plecs, 6 other tetra's that I forget the name of right now.
Thank you very much for any replies/suggestions! :)

Choose your fish which are suitable to the water conditions you have? Do it this way then you won't have to resort to manually adjusting the levels. And YES this is not recommended.

Soft water can be produced when required by using a Reverse Osmosis (RO) unit but these things are expensive (fortunately I have NO experience of them so I will shut up now :rolleyes: )

I have heard that hardness can sometimes be reduced by using natural Sphagnum Moss (whatever that is) in the aquarium filter. Also adding peat will also tend to acidify the water (lower the pH). (Do not use garden peat to which chemicals may have been added).

Andy

Also adding peat will also tend to acidify the water (lower the pH)

So lowering the pH does nothing for the hardness? I thought that pH and hardness went hand in hand? High pH = hard water. Is this wrong?

I know nothing about RO units either and am not sure I want to go this route... seems very expensive.

I'm more concerned about my plants then fish, since the fish are at least one generation (but probably many more) used to the hard water. Well, the ones that require softer water at least. :) If the plant seclection around here improves I would really enjoy having more but I know a lot wont do so well in such hardness.

Thanks for the replies so far guys :) Gives me somethings to think about.

pH is the standard relative measurement scale for the alkalinity (surely spelt that one wrong!) or acidity of a liquid(?). The scale goes from 0 to 14 (logarithmic scale i.e. a difference of 1 equates to a 10 fould increase or decrease).

0 = Most Acidic
7 = Neutral (your Dove soap bars of the world for that perfect complextion)
14 = Most alkaline

I do not think this relates directly to hardness but when both measurements are to hand (KH & pH) other things can be deduced, e.g. the saturation of CO2 in the water.

Also pH (at room temperature) can be used to unravel your NH3/NH4 test kit result (toxic ammonia)/(total ammonia: ammonia+ammonium) %

Water hardness is due to dissolved salts (usually calcium & magnesium). Total or general hardness (GH) consists of temporary hardness (KH) and permenant hardness (?).

Called Temporary hardness because it can be boiled out (an hence lime scale in a kettle). Permenant hardness because it remain in solution after boiling.

...Sorry I'm no Chemist & I may be spouting utter bollocks and probably am (no need for a test kit there).

Andy

The plants you list should be ok in hard water, providing they have enough light etc.

Peat etc. lowers KH and pH, these two are linked. GH won't budge by using peat.

RO is the easiest way to control hardness. RO has zero hardness (KH, GH). Dilute the tap water to acheive desired results.

GF,

are you saying that KH & pH are linked somehow - if so can you please tell me how.

Or

are you saying they are linked in the context of using peat: i.e. when using peat this lowers both KH & pH and hence they are linked in this manner?

TIA

Andy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back