So many fry, send help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SomethingsFishy24

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
To the day, my bristlenose did it again. Like last months batch, this group is a good 100+. Previous female only ever had about 30-40 at a time. I was able to keep multiple batches, sell as they were ready.

I am officially out of room in my grow out. Now what? Anyone have any economical thoughts/ideas for a grow out bank of tanks. I thought clear plastic bins but am leery with heaters needing to be used. Any experience would be great.

I am pulling that blue eyed fluzee, she is going to have to cool her jets. Unfortunately she will be reunited with the lemon male. Only good thing is he has no experience what so ever. Hoping this gives us a break until I can sort out space for fry.

To the day, my bristlenose did it again. Like last months batch, this group is a good 100+. Previous female only ever had about 30-40 at a time. I was able to keep multiple batches, sell as they were ready.

I am officially out of room in my grow out. Now what? Anyone have any economical thoughts/ideas for a grow out bank of tanks. I thought clear plastic bins but am leery with heaters needing to be used. Any experience would be great.

I am pulling that blue eyed fluzee, she is going to have to cool her jets. Unfortunately she will be reunited with the lemon male. Only good thing is he has no experience what so ever. Hoping this gives us a break until I can sort out space for fry.

I’m pretty sure I read one time that @Colin_T had used something like the image I have attached (obviously a bigger version just the example). You can get these from pretty much any kind of department store or home store

Attachments

• 43144F28-1801-444C-BFA9-A963746261AC.png
    43144F28-1801-444C-BFA9-A963746261AC.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 27
We need someone to invent fish contraception....whoever does it will be a billionaire within 12 months.

I sometimes wonder if there may be such a thing like a fish spermacide which you could put in the water :/

Large plastic storage containers. That's what I used and they were great emergency tanks and for rearing purposes. Keep the lid on them to stop the sides bulging out too much. Have a heater and air operated sponge filter in them. Add water and fish and away you go.

Large plastic storage containers. That's what I used and they were great emergency tanks and for rearing purposes. Keep the lid on them to stop the sides bulging out too much. Have a heater and air operated sponge filter in them. Add water and fish and away you go.
Do you have any particular heaters you would recommend for such a set up? Just nervous about a heater melting the plastic or something dumb like that.

I used Rena 150, 200 & 300 watt heaters. I also used Thermal compact 100 & 150 watt heaters. The Thermal compacts were cheap and I didn't trust the lower wattage units (25, 50 & 75 watt), but the Rena heaters were great. They are my preferred heater if you can get them.

I never had a problem with them melting the container. If you are concerned, put a piece of driftwood under the bottom of the heater or use some white filter floss.

Dang... I thought I had fry problems lol...

Those two plecos definitely like eachother... 😳

I used Rena 150, 200 & 300 watt heaters. I also used Thermal compact 100 & 150 watt heaters. The Thermal compacts were cheap and I didn't trust the lower wattage units (25, 50 & 75 watt), but the Rena heaters were great. They are my preferred heater if you can get them.

I never had a problem with them melting the container. If you are concerned, put a piece of driftwood under the bottom of the heater or use some white filter floss.
Thank you for your recommendations, this will hopefully sort us out.

The simplest solution is lots of water changes. Half or more every other day. Maybe even every day because you'll be feeding a lot. If that idea doesn't grab you go get two or three ten gallons. They're cheap. This time of year heating isn't going to be a big problem. No filters just air stones and water changes since its temporary.

We need someone to invent fish contraception....whoever does it will be a billionaire within 12 months.
...my Peppers are at it again.....splotching eggs everywhere.... <sigh> I love my fish dearly but I do wish they wouldn't get jiggy with it every 5 minutes....."You're NOT having another aquarium...quit egg splotching!"

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back