So I Know I Said I Was Getting Bolivian Rams...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Twinklecaz

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
But I went to my LFS today and they had a sale and they had GBR's (not that they were labelled as that) for £2.50 each and so well:

This is just one of them, the other is still a little shy. Both female and both beautiful. I just figured that this was a good deal and though they are in my 60L right now, I'll have my 125l in max about 3-4 weeks so decided it would be ok. They're both still quite small too.

I know they're more senstive than Bolivians but they've gone into a mature tank with soft water (though my PH is around 7.3?)and I just thought they'll prob have a better chance with me than most of the "what's cycling" types that walk in there. Also Green Neons are meant to be sensitive and are prob the happiest fish in my tank so I talked myself into it.

Is there anything major I should know that I haven't thought of? My temp is at 25 c, is that ok for them?

German blues like the water temperature closer to 27 or 28. They're pretty notoriously fragile, so I'd slowly raise the temperature closer to their preference if you can without harming the other fishes. I would have got some myself if it weren't for their temperature preference :crazy:

EDIT: You might also want to dig deeper, but I think the pH of the water is a bit high for them too. I dunno if that'll be a huge deal, but it might.

Bums, that could be my prob then as with them I have Platy, Green Neons, Pygmy Corys and Sparkling Gourami. Would 27 be too high for them?

Bums, that could be my prob then as with them I have Platy, Green Neons, Pygmy Corys and Sparkling Gourami. Would 27 be too high for them?

I don't know much about any of those, but some quick profile jumping says that 27 is on the high end of neons preference, 26 is the high end of pygmy cory preference, 28 is high end for the gourami, and I have a hunch that the platy will be fine regardless.

I think as long as you keep it around about 25 or 26 or and it stays steady in that field, no colder, as that's the low side of their temp range, and you keep up with the water changes to keep the water in top shape, your rams will be fine.

the 'blues' need a pH of below 7 ideally and nitrates as low as possible (<20ppm but lower if you can).

Good luck with them though, they might be ok in 7.2.......only time will tell.

Thanks guys. My Nitrate has never been higher than 15 so that's good news.

As for PH. When in the new tank I'll be adding more bogwood again and when I had lots before my PH tended to stay around <7.

STUPID question but I don't know the answer and I'm worried I might have a problem already.........are German Rams supposed to sit on the sand like Corys do? I've just seen one of them do it, she was for about 5 mins after I came in the room (don't know how long she was before that)and then she swam off again. Is this normal? I fed them some bloody worm about an hour ago which they both seemed to love so hopefully you're going to tell me all's fine and I'm paranoid????

I've got a longfin german blue ram at 26c at an average pH of 7.2 with a pretty high nitrate of 40 but i am lowering this by going heavy planted, he's tough as nails though has survived filter crashes and high ammonia spikes so each to there own when it comes to gbr imo.

As for the gbr sitting on the sand bottom, mine often does it and kind of goes into a 'trance' for a little while then comes back to reality, must say very nice ram you have.

Thanks guys. My Nitrate has never been higher than 15 so that's good news.

As for PH. When in the new tank I'll be adding more bogwood again and when I had lots before my PH tended to stay around <7.

STUPID question but I don't know the answer and I'm worried I might have a problem already.........are German Rams supposed to sit on the sand like Corys do? I've just seen one of them do it, she was for about 5 mins after I came in the room (don't know how long she was before that)and then she swam off again. Is this normal? I fed them some bloody worm about an hour ago which they both seemed to love so hopefully you're going to tell me all's fine and I'm paranoid????
My bolivians "sit" in the sand late at night when they're sleeping.. or whatever fish do.. otherwise, they tend to hover just above the sand, with their pelvic fins not quite touching but pretty #41#### close. Being honest, if they're doing that during the day time, I'd think there is some room for concern.

What are your water perimeters at this point? Try and get that bogwood as soon as you can to get the pH to a desired level.

Thanks Proxo!

I actually just tested before coming on here and my readings are A:0 Ni:0 Na:10 and PH: I'll say about 7 but I always find it hard to read to be honest. It's light blue with a greenish tinge. Temp is almost 26 c

Both of them are swimming around happily today, much more so than they were yesterday and Monday evening so I'm hoping they were just settleing in. They seem to be swimming around with my Platy a lot which is....odd lol but each to their own.

One of them (I suspect the same one who was sitting on the sand yesterday) doesn't have quite the same colours as the other one so I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on her.

Need to get the new tank :)

Thanks Proxo!

I actually just tested before coming on here and my readings are A:0 Ni:0 Na:10 and PH: I'll say about 7 but I always find it hard to read to be honest. It's light blue with a greenish tinge. Temp is almost 26 c

Both of them are swimming around happily today, much more so than they were yesterday and Monday evening so I'm hoping they were just settleing in. They seem to be swimming around with my Platy a lot which is....odd lol but each to their own.

One of them (I suspect the same one who was sitting on the sand yesterday) doesn't have quite the same colours as the other one so I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on her.

Need to get the new tank :)
There's a chance the less colorful one is simply less dominant. But I Have 2 female Bolivians, not blues. The less dominant one is much less colorful than the more dominant.

Ahhhhh really? Cool thanks.

They both still seem very happy today so fingers crossed. and they happily eat the normal flake food which is a bonus I think?

I got caught out with the temp thing as well, ended up buying a second tank (any excuse) and re-homed platys, danios and a bulldog plec in to the new, cooler tank.

Hello Simon, where ya been???????????????? :)

Nooo, really? I can still see it :(

Hello Simon, where ya been???????????????? :)

Nooo, really? I can still see it :(

I can see her now! Looks great. The species do vary a lot but i'm sure you'll manage great!

I'm always busy with something...! Finished uni and now just busy with working and things. New post on my blog in the planted tanks section though ;) Havn't had any new fish for a while though unfortunately!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back