FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TheCoolWolf

Reaction score
In my 250 gallon tank there's a 20" long giant snakehead. I've kept him for 2 years. Anyway, I want a tank mate for him as the tank looks empty with just him and feeder fish. His last tank mate was a 16" giant gourami which died somehow but not by the snakehead of course. Any suggestions? I don't want any to get eaten like my old Hampala barb and Nile tilapia.

Giant snakeheads (Channa micropeltes) are best kept without tankmates.

The only way you can have tankmates is:
1. The tankmates have been with the snakehead since young (doesn't always work out either)
2. The tankmate is another giant snakehead (either they grew up together or are a male-female pair)
3. The tankmates are larger than the snakehead.

Since your snakehead is pretty much an adult now, it's likely it would see any new tankmates as food.

Giant snakeheads (Channa micropeltes) are best kept without tankmates.

The only way you can have tankmates is:
1. The tankmates have been with the snakehead since young (doesn't always work out either)
2. The tankmate is another giant snakehead (either they grew up together or are a male-female pair)
3. The tankmates are larger than the snakehead.

Since your snakehead is pretty much an adult now, it's likely it would see any new tankmates as food.
The original post is from over 4 years ago and the OP hasn't been active for years so it is unlikely you will receive a response.

What @fishbball said, I recently acquired a baby snakehead around 5 or 6 inches, and all seems fine now, not sure how he will turn out when he grows larger. But for a snakehead that large, you would want some tankmates large enough not to be eaten. And I think I also heard somewhere you don't want to put two snakeheads in the same tank if they're not a breeding pair.

Is it legal to own a snakehead in the USA?

What @fishbball said, I recently acquired a baby snakehead around 5 or 6 inches, and all seems fine now, not sure how he will turn out when he grows larger. But for a snakehead that large, you would want some tankmates large enough not to be eaten. And I think I also heard somewhere you don't want to put two snakeheads in the same tank if they're not a breeding pair.
Unless the grammar isn't clear this suggests a Texan member with a small snakehead, and as a forum we go into dark places if we answer queries about 5-6 inch snakeheads in Texas. There are enough people ready to police our hobby if we don't police ourselves.

Until someone can provide legitimate evidence that snakeheads are legal to own anywhere in the USA, all discussion of owning these fish by American members should cease.
This does not affect members who have these fish and live in a country where owning them is legal.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back