Snake Like Fish And Puffers?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Install

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
'Lo all

A rather simple question.
Is there any snake like fish (by which I mean birchirs etc.) which I might keep in harmony with any puffers? The puffers I've in mind are the red eye and the red eye/red tailed puffer.

The puffers don't grow to a large size - and btw, I'm not mad enough to just take a chance, hence why I'm asking!

Thanks.

I've heard really mixed reviews on the aggressiveness of these fish.  Things that will help would be finding fish that like a harder water and are more active during the day than at night.  A lot of bichirs are pretty hardy and can stand up for themselves.  A senegal wouldn't grow large enough to cause problems to the puffer.  They also can handle a pretty wide range of pH and hardness.  

What size tank would you be keeping your fish in.  I've heard that the puffers while not very large do require more space than expected.  The bichir eventually would as well.  Both like heavily planted tanks too so I would say it may be a pretty safe combination.  

I do have a bichir but I have never had any puffers so I cannot be sure.

It's a juwel 240, so approximately 55 gallons.
I am more worried about the birchir munching the puffers, rather than the other way around!

Edit: The reason I said 'snake like' is because I'm open to dwarf snakeheads etc. too.

I would say you would be pretty safe on that end.  If you establish the tank for the puffers and get them settled first and add the bichir after you might have good success.  I introduce 2-2.5 cm rosy barbs into a tank with a 22.8 ish birchir and he left them alone.  My giant danios also had fry and he didn't touch them.  they are very dependent on scent for their food.  If you keep him well fed and if he knows it wont fit in his mouth I don't think you will have a problem.  I have a bout 9 fish that are plenty small enough for him to eat and I have never even seen him chase them.  

IMO if you have a well planted tank with plenty of hiding cover and keep them well fed I don't see a problem.  Other than a bichir you could do a few types of eels but you might run into tank size issues.  Do have a max tank size in mind?

I'm sticking to my juwel 240. I don't plan on getting anything bigger for now, really. I'm hoping to get a few larger fish in (by which I mean larger than most 'community' fish) too, but they are not necessary I suppose. Having said that if I had to choose between a few dwarf snakeheads and the puffers... gah, I wouldn't be sure!

Edit: The tank will be heavily planted and decorated.

Edit again: Seems the dwarf snakeheads aren't really appropriate, ah well.

Other than the bichirs I can't think of anything that will be able to handle the water conditions you need for puffers.  Hopefully someone else has ideas for you.  Good Luck.

I've just been cross referencing pH that puffers and those dwarf puffers need, it seems they both err towards acidity from neutral.

That and the salt level of the water.  You would need almost brackish fish most freshwater fish I don't believe could handle it.  Like I said though I'm not puffer expert.

Oh right, no, I've just been looking at freshwater puffers.

Most freshwater puffers still usually require aquarium salt just not to that extent, somewhere between fresh and brackish water. 

I'm unsure about that really, if they need salt then they'd be brackish. Ah well, I may just get some dwarf puffers for a separate tank.

Here's another thread I found on true freshwaters.  Some people will add some salt to these tanks because it can help with infections and therapy but you don't need any.  Like I said I'm no puffer expert
tongue2.gif

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/127807-common-freshwater-puffers-the-basics/

Bichirs are usually tolerant fishes if you start them out as small fishes in company of other fishes. Well, at least the albino ones. I've grown a 2.5 inch specimen to a 6-inch bichir with aurelios barbs and chinese golden barbs without casualties for almost 4 years if only the bichir didn't slip out lol

I've decided against trying to keep puffers etc. together. I've a smaller tank which I'll get some DPs in, and leave the 240 for whatever.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back