Snails ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guppy10

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all, in my mixed 50gl tank would some snails be a good idea or not ? Iv seen many types which look nice and would perhaps add a different aspect but I really don't no. Also do they breed on their own or do you need more than 1. As I said my knowledge is limited. Thanks

There are dozens of species of freshwater snail, and some have issues while others do not. If you have live plants, you want to avoid any snail species that is likely to eat plants; some do, many do not. Aside from the plant issue, snails are very helpful in any aquarium. They eat all dead organics, which includes fish poop, dead plant leaves, uneaten food. This is a benefit because it breaks the organic matter down faster so the various bacteria can better handle it, and quicker.

I have always had one or more of the very small "common" snails that frequently arrive on plants. Pond snails, bladder snails, ramshorn snails and Malaysian Livebearing Snails are the four most common. None of these eat healthy plants (though the ramshorn has been accused of this by some), they get everywhere you cannot, and they are a benefit. They will multiply according to the available food, but you never have to add food just for these snails, they are scavengers in a sense.

There are larger snails, some will eat plants, some do contribute to the bioload, most (there are a couple exceptions) will reproduce readily according to the food.

No live plants so not an issue. The large stripped snails look good but unsure of name but are expensive if getting eaten in first minute, they would look good and if they multiply then a bonus.
I believe if something dies it is for a reason If not compatible or ph is not for them but I'm learning. Cheers

If you have no live plants than apple/mystery snails are good. I had live plants and they did plenty of damage to them.

Last edited:
Other members who have more direct experience with the larger snails can provide advice. You are right about water parameters...snails need calcium for their shells, so knowing the GH (general hardness) of your water will help. The pH may clue us in, but it is the GH that matters.

in my opinion, snails are a pita and should be kept out of tanks. avoid pond snails, Ramshorn snails and definitely avoid Malaysian trumpet/ livebearing snails. other snails like mystery snails are fine.

in my opinion, snails are a pita and should be kept out of tanks. avoid pond snails, Ramshorn snails and definitely avoid Malaysian trumpet/ livebearing snails. other snails like mystery snails are fine.
What do you think of nerite snails?

I'm not sure now ! It seems to be ok or avoid at whatever cost so I'm really not sure on this divided opinion. Thanks anyway.

I have several colourful Zebra Nerite snails in my 240L planted aquarium and they do a fine job of cleaning. Nerite snails don't breed in freshwater although they do still lay eggs but the eggs never hatch.

I'm not sure now ! It seems to be ok or avoid at whatever cost so I'm really not sure on this divided opinion. Thanks anyway.

Aquarists can have differing opinions on snails the same as they can on this fish or that fish, how to aquascape (natural or artificial), etc, etc. What I posted in #2 are benefits that are scientific fact, not my opinion. So your decision to have or not have snails is up to you, just as it is for all of us; you just don't need to be "afraid" of them. :fish:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back