Snails!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Le Sorcier

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Only got a small tank but seem to have aquired an infestation of snails from somewhere? Got about 30 out with my last water change but there looks at least as many as that still in there (many tiny ones).

Are there any small fish I could get that will eat the snails or is there another way?

Thanks

Feed the tank less, the snails only breed if there is left over food for them to eat. Also try placing a lettuce leaf in the tank and throw it away in the morning once it is covered in snails.

Only got a small tank but seem to have aquired an infestation of snails from somewhere? Got about 30 out with my last water change but there looks at least as many as that still in there (many tiny ones).

Are there any small fish I could get that will eat the snails or is there another way?

Thanks

what size of tank have u got and what is your stocking?

u can get some anti snail from interpet , but i have no idea how effective this is as my clowns take care of any i get :)

If snails aren't put in the tank, how do they get in there?

/stupid question

Thanks

what size of tank have u got and what is your stocking?

Tank is 30cmx30cmx30cm.
Fish are 2 Corys, 3 Endlers, 2 Mollies and 1 Platy.

Thanks

get some zebra loaches or chain loaches. they will eat them!

Tank's too small for that solution, better to go with a chemical treatment and watch out for the ammonia spike when all the snails die off.

What sort of snails are they, do they look like trumpets, long and thin or are they little round flat ones in a sort of danish pastry shape? If they're the trumpet sort then don't worry about them, drop back on the feeding and let them be, they don't eat your plants and are just another interesting addition to your tank. If they're the danish pastry sort and you have plants then you may well want to go down the chemical route.

Just add some cucumber/lettuce to the tank overnight, in the morning, you will find snails on it, then take it out.

Do this over the course of a few weeks and you will have them under control.
Not necessarily get rid of them all, but some snails are good for the tank, the eat the leftover food, stir the substrate up and help keep algae at bay.

Tank's too small for that solution, better to go with a chemical treatment and watch out for the ammonia spike when all the snails die off.

What sort of snails are they, do they look like trumpets, long and thin or are they little round flat ones in a sort of danish pastry shape? If they're the trumpet sort then don't worry about them, drop back on the feeding and let them be, they don't eat your plants and are just another interesting addition to your tank. If they're the danish pastry sort and you have plants then you may well want to go down the chemical route.

chemical option is crap as it doesnt work and not really any good trie lettace in a jar or something best option you can go for in that tank

definately cant get anymore fish i would say its fully stocked now and really too small for any normal corys you should really have pygmys if anything.

chemical option is crap as it doesnt work and not really any good
Which one did you try and which type of snails did it not work on.

When I needed to treat my guppies for parasites I used wormer plus, this also cleared my tank of Malaysian trumpet snails (thankfully I was forewarned so had removed a mini colony to a holding tank for the duration).

Most of the chemical treatments are based on copper or a copper salt. They work fine and will last "forever" in your tank. From then on you will be unable to keep snails that you choose like mystery snails. You will also be unable to keep any inverts such as shrimp.
Avoid the chemical treatments and stop overfeeding the tank as a control measure. It will not eliminate the snails but will reduce their numbers to no longer be a problem. When you only have a few they are nice to look at and help with algae control. When you have dozens they are unsightly and a pest.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back