SNAILS!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dirty332

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok ive had snails for about 4 months now and at first i didnt like them now i dont care but i was gone for about 3 days at a friends house and i come back and there are eggs everywhere on my tank, I DONT WANT THEM, Will my pleco aventually eat them? or is there something i can put in the tank to kill all the sanils without having to take all of the fish out?

Any thing could help, Thanx

But if u cant find a fish u eat them u can get this stuff that kills them off (there like meds) :)

I prefer the handpicking method. At night, you can drop a slice of cucumber or lettuce into the tank and many snails will congregate allowing you to remove and toss them out.

i'm always picking the snails out of the tank and trying to find all the eggs.
But the more i seem to take out the more snails seem to appear!!
I hate snails as well!!
But i wouldnt use meds to get rid of them.

hi there

imo most of the fish that will eat the snails will also probably eat your fry. I haven't used any of the snail-rid meds....not keen on adding meds to my tanks and the thought of all those dead snails decomposing in the tank worries me too -_-

I squish the bigger snails for the fish to eat (they :wub: love 'em), when I siphon the gravel a lot of the smaller snails get sucked up the tube and if I see any egg nests I pull them out before they hatch. I still have some snails, not a lot, it's quite good - if their shells are soft so is the water - they're my water monitors :lol:

sue

I've always heard that snails only breed as much as their is food to feed them. In my experiance I think will have to go with this logic. I do my rock solid best to feed only the minimum. I'm getting better, but I still feel that I overfeed a little...my stupid gourami still look a bit pudgy :X Anyway, once I started reducing the food, I noticed a reduction in snails.

I guess I'm odd anyway though since I like wild snails and actually take the time to ADD them to a new tank :nod:

Thanx for everything but i think i got rid of all of them for a little while, i took all of the gravel out of my tank and boiled it for 10 mins then scraped all of the eggs off and then put everything back in it has seemed to work a couple of sheels have stured up but i think i seen one snail alive and i scooped him up and trew it away but if i have snails problems again i will probably get a loach, tHANX for all of the help

:grr: Snails could eat the entire live plants in your aquarium!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back