Snails on steroids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lynnzer

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've suffered these little buggers before but thought I had eliminated them all. In fact the tank they now inhabit has never had any transfer of anything, plants, gravel or anything else, from any other tank. BUT the little buggers are back, and showing in increasingly large numbers. They are in a small heavily planted 20ltr tank with only half a dozen Galaxy rasboras and 4 young panda corys, and a couple of shrimp that have somehow also found theit way into the tank. So overfeeding isn't really a problem to have them multiplying.
I call them snails on steroids, or racing snails as they move like almost qicker than the fish.
Anyway, what in hell are they, and more importantly can I use something to kill them off without killing the fish or shrimp.
Picture shows the critters.
IMG_20220313_075954.jpg
IMG_20220313_075942.jpg

Bladder snails.

Any medication you use to kill them would kill the shrimp, as well

You can manually remove them, or introduce assassin snails to eradicate them...but, the assassins will breed and multiply, as well...just not near as fast or prolifically as pest snails

Some aquarists build traps to remove them, as well....lots of vids on YouTube showing how to do it

Last edited:
Bladder snails.

Any medication you use to kill them would kill the shrimp, as well

You can manually remove them, or introduce assassin snails to eradicate them...but, the assassins will breed and multiply, as well...just not near as fast or prolifically as pest snails
Plus assassin snail baby. = money

I've had issues with pest snails before and find assassin snails very useful for dealing with them, so would look locally if you can get some!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back