Snails keep dying

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Irksome

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have ramshorn snails in my divided betta/ shrimp tank and they die. Especially in the shrimp side. I have moved some of them to planted jars in the windows and in just a few weeks they are 3 times the size whereas the ones in the aquarium just aren’t thriving. There are still plenty, but they grow so slowly and the ground is littered with dozens of empty shells. It don’t feed the snails specifically, the shrimp and betta get pellets/ freeze dried food every couple of days. I have hard water so they shouldn’t be dissolving. Does anyone know what could cause this?

For how long have you had them? Make sure your pH is above 7.0 and make sure you have hard water.

poor water quality.
what's the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate reading?

what do you add to the tank?

@Colin_T Ammonia is 0.1 ppm, nitrite is 0, nitrate is 5ppm. I have used gel capsule root tabs and clay balls under the sand and easylife liquid fertiliser but have stopped all added ferts since getting Cyanobacteria. The snails have been dying since before the Cyanobacteria became a problem, I use seacham prime water conditioner and am currently doing 70% water changes twice weekly.

@Colin_T Ammonia is 0.1 ppm, nitrite is 0, nitrate is 5ppm. I have used gel capsule root tabs and clay balls under the sand and easylife liquid fertiliser but have stopped all added ferts since getting Cyanobacteria. The snails have been dying since before the Cyanobacteria became a problem, I use seacham prime water conditioner and am currently doing 70% water changes twice weekly.
One of the fertilisers could possibly contain and leech copper..

One of the fertilisers could possibly contain and leech copper..
My suspicions are on the cheap gel capsule fertilisers, I remove the little yellow balls they contain at every opportunity. I got them on eBay and I’m quite sure it was a bad idea. I would have thought the shrimp would die too with copper.

My suspicions are on the cheap gel capsule fertilisers, I remove the little yellow balls they contain at every opportunity. I got them on eBay and I’m quite sure it was a bad idea. I would have thought the shrimp would die too with copper.
The shrimp would most likely die first, if it was a copper problem.

Is the snails shel dissolving? Or are they just dying?

The shrimp would most likely die first, if it was a copper problem.

Is the snails shel dissolving? Or are they just dying?
They are just dying, the shells are intact and empty.

They have the algae in the tank and they eat some of the shrimp pellets. I used to put veg in for them but they didn’t show an interest.
Try to get some algae wafers. (Tetra sells some nice ones.)

My snails/shrimp really like them. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back