Snails - Good Or Bad

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

friendsnotfood

Reaction score
So then, i decided to cycle with fish (after giving up doing fishless as kept forgetting to add ammonia).
I bought some plants at same time as fish and have noticed i have 3 or 4 snails that have hitched a ride with them.

The question is, are snails a good or bad thing in my tank? Should i be welcoming them or scooping them out pronto?

Thanks

if there the typical wee pest snail that usually hitch hikes on plants i would get them out ! they eat your plants and breed like crazy so get em out if there the normal pesty ;)

A few snails I think are a good addition to a tank but they can quickly get out of control if you overfeed.
You always seem to get them with new plants.
If you don't want them you can use a turkey baster to get them out before they become a nuisance

A turkey baster? These ones are size of my little finger nail, so could easily scoop out with net.
Are these the type you were thinking?

i wud get them out i put had 2 in my baby tanks and now i have about 100 i have keep getting them out.

Bit big for a turkey baster then have you got a pic of them?

personally i would get a small group of assassin snails as an addition... i started with 3 but recently noticed a random 4th one haha. They help keep the pest snails population down i had a small infestation but now i see one or 2 every week or so.

a pic would be good... I had a snail problem in my old tank. I just crushed any I saw on the glass and my guppies wolfed them down. Seems I got them all cos they never became a problem. But a friend of mine has loads of pest snails, its terrible, but she cant bring herself to kill them :(

Well i now have about a hundred little baby snails!!!
Thankfully they seem attracted to a bright ornament in tank so just keep removing it and getting rid of them, putting it back in tank and waiting for the next lot to attach themselves to it.

Any other ideas how to kill them before they take over my tank completely?

remove the adults (aka the breeders) and squish/remove any and all babies you see. So long as you don't get any adults, it may take a while, but you'll get rid of them eventually.

Other than that it's take everything that you can out of the tank, and have a good look. Turkey baste or squish any on the glass etc.

Pest snails are so annoying!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back