Snails dying for no apparent reason

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TheTenthDoctor

Fish Herder
Reaction score
In all of my tanks my snails are just dying! Ramshorn, mystery, and nerite! My water is okay and I do frequent water changes. The only thing I can think that would possibly throw it off is my dynamite plus root tabs. They do contain some amount of copper. BUT they are all buried under sand and soil. So what is going on? what should I do?

Yes, are these "dynamite plus root tabs" called that, or are they DIY? I can't find them searching online.

They look DIY with some capsules which are then filled with plant fertiliser which seems to be the Dynamite select plant food
https://www.amazon.com/d/Fertilizers-Plant-Food/Dynamite-887776-Select-Purpose-2-Pound/B002CAG992

I would suggest that this is probably not the way to go about making root tabs for aquariums especially ones with fish. there are a few additives to there products which can be harmful to aquatic life when the build up in an aquarium including the metals (copper ect) and something called ETDA which can speed up the effects of toxic metals in the aquatic environment, by increasing bioavalibility of these metals.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Take note that snails, catfish and loaches are sensitive to copper.
Copper may kill them in higher dosage.

Copper sulfate which is used to kill parasites may also kill the snails.

Also, I think rocks may also absorb the copper if you have it in your tank.
You have to perform large water change to remove the copper in the water.

Last edited:
They look DIY with some capsules which are then filled with plant fertiliser which seems to be the Dynamite select plant food
https://www.amazon.com/d/Fertilizers-Plant-Food/Dynamite-887776-Select-Purpose-2-Pound/B002CAG992

I would suggest that this is probably not the way to go about making root tabs for aquariums especially ones with fish. there are a few additives to there products which can be harmful to aquatic life when the build up in an aquarium including the metals (copper ect) and something called ETDA which can speed up the effects of toxic metals in the aquatic environment, by increasing bioavalibility of these metals.

This was behind my asking about the "tabs" and I completely agree...there are ingredients (either the substance or the level) in that fertilizer that cannot be safely used in an aquarium. Nitrate is extremely high for one example, and it would be worth knowing the nitrate test result for this tank. This alone is harming all the fish.

Terrestrial plants and aquatic plants have differing requirements when it comes to nutrients. You would be better buying a reliable aquatic plant tab such as Seachem's Flourish Tabs. I have been using these for over ten years now, and my snails and fish are fine. The level in aquarium-intended products like Seachem's of possibly dangerous nutrients such as copper, iron, other heavy metals are not anywhere near high enough to threaten aquatic life. But this is a very different case with DIY or using terrestrial "fertilizers."

Edited to make it clear just in case...BH

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I agree with @Byron. Some things in the fish-keeping hobby should not be “DIY” :)

The level of possibly dangerous nutrients such as copper, iron, other heavy metals are not anywhere near high enough to threaten aquatic life.

From what i could make out in other places it seemed common in people doing high tech planted only tanks, even then I still wouldn't recommend it really but at least in that case it isn't harming fish!

Drat. What should I do? I can't get rid of the root tabs at this point. Just keep changing the water?

By "can't get rid of the tabs at this point" do you mean you can't remove them? Should be easy to do this, just use the water changer to "pull" them up, then remove them with your fingers. The sooner you get rid of these the better for all concerned.

What is your nitrate level, by the way?

once you manage to remove them for the tank I would do a massive water change too.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back