Snails and shrimps

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bstier

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a few questions for the snail and shrimp experts... First off I have a 10 gallon setup with filter and light on my floor. The 20 gal is on the desk. I have a heater so the temp is all good yada yada. I bought a live plant and put it in the tank, and I was wondering if I would start to get snails. I also dropped 3 snails into the tank to try and start it off. The goal is to have unlimited supply for my puffer. I also dropped about 7 ghost shrimps in there. There is a brick with holes in it and i put the plant in one of the holes and raised one end up with a rock. A few of the shrimp seem to have like 20 eggs inside of them. What is the likelyhood that they hatch and grow? Any help would be appreciated, thankyou

Brian

Zero percent chance that the shrimp eggs will mature to adults unless you can move them to another tank, so it's worthless to keep the ghosts as starter cultures for future food sources.

As for the snails, you could probably keep adding them, though I would not add any expensive plants. Use rommaine lettuce. It's really cheap and the snails out to love it.

Just make sure you don't have too many snails, though, because if there are too many and they all start to die, it will seriously pollute the water.

I'm not an "expert", though, so this is all just my opinion/educated guess.

You generaly dont need a heater or filter for snails or ghost shrimp so why not just spend 30 bucks and buy 3 more 10 gallons for ghost shrimp fry rearing and snail rearing too.

Opcn

Don't have enough $ or room for 3 more 10 gallons, lol .

My setup right as of right now...

mysetup.jpg

This is a picture of my 10 gallon right now. It houses shrimps and 2 snails...Will this work for snail reproduction???

10gal.jpg

Nice looking tanks :cool: :kewlpics: what kind of snails do you have in there? you may want to plant it more hevily and put in more snails (pond snails of coarse) to jump start production. what are you feeding the snail tank now? you may want to toss in a few slice of cuke every now and then my snails love it (carrot too)

Good luck

Opcn

I went to the pet store today and the guy gave me about 8 more snails...so now I have about 8 in there. I think they are just regular pond snails, nothing special. If I get them going ill be glad to help other peeps start a colony out. My puffer loves'em! :D

It's a good idea, by the way. I shuld've said that before.

However, how do you enjoy your tank if it's on the ground? Try getting a small table from a thrift store. That way you'll be able to enjoy it more. :D

Tips for getting cheap tanks:
Glass tank form Walmart w/o hood
Cheap condensation tray on top
Frequent water changes
Lots of rommaine lettuce and cucumbers

Breeding ghost shrimp or more snails It's only 10 bucks plus price of plants and It would be a good motivation to do something so healthy.

Opcn

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back