SNAIL!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LostBear

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Officially there are two zebra nerites in our tank (Ant and Dec*). They have been there about three weeks. They are a chunky pair, each about the size of my thumbnail.

A week go, a small snail was spotted, gliding over the glass. Husband tried to grab it, but he dropped it in the gravel and it disappeared . . . Today, it was spotted again, but it saw it was being watched and ran to hide where I couldn't whip it out without disturbing the entire set up (they can move remarkably fast)

It seemed to be a ramshorn, but I can't be certain. Now there have been no plants put in since the tank was set up at the beginning of March.

I know it can't be the offspring of the nerites because they can't breed in fresh water, but would any stray eggs hidden in the plants have taken so long to hatch and get to size (about 1/16th inch) to be noticable? And more to the point - are there likely to be any more of them? I washed the plants when I got them, and didn't notice any clutches of snail egg jelly - are there varieties of aquatic snail which lays single eggs? Might we have got away with just the one? The tank contains tetras - glowlights (my favourites!) and neons - would these have eaten any little snail-lets?

Is there any way I can lure the little beggars out to get them out of the tank when they are so little? I don't want to risk getting over-run by greedy little gastropods.

*Yes, yes, I know - they used to be called Jeremy and Corbyn. They have also been Wheeltapper and Shunter, Heckle and Jeckle, Dietrich and Sonntag, Rene and Renata and several other "paired" names. Don't judge me - it keeps me out of mischief.

I have a ramshorn snail in one of my tanks that was a hitchhiker and he does a good jobs cleaning the glass and is more active than my two nerite snails in the same tank. He has grown to be about an inch tall. If your ramshorn snail is that fast you should call him turbo (movie)

I have a ramshorn snail in one of my tanks that was a hitchhiker and he does a good jobs cleaning the glass and is more active than my two nerite snails in the same tank. He has grown to be about an inch tall. If your ramshorn snail is that fast you should call him turbo (movie)
Ah!

If he's going to work for a living and not just move in and start a family, then he can stay.

I will call him Turbo for now - doubtless his name will change, as so the names of the others.

My only consistent name is "Anxious Norman" for my single male glowlight tetra. He has five wives and always looks worried for some reason . . . :lol:

I have those little ramshorn snails that never get any bigger than a few mm. They came in with a plant years ago; so long ago I can't remember if I noticed them straight away or a bit later. At first I tried to kill them all but then realised they weren't actually a problem. Now I lalso have physid snails as well from a plant (they're called tadpole, bladder, pest etc snails). The easiest way to stop a snail population explosion is to not overfeed the fish.

Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club. That takes me back :)

I have those little ramshorn snails that never get any bigger than a few mm. They came in with a plant years ago; so long ago I can't remember if I noticed them straight away or a bit later. At first I tried to kill them all but then realised they weren't actually a problem. Now I lalso have physid snails as well from a plant (they're called tadpole, bladder, pest etc snails). The easiest way to stop a snail population explosion is to not overfeed the fish.

Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club. That takes me back :)
Thanks Essjay. I'd already reduced the fishes' rations and now they all look at me accusingly when I walk past the tank without distributing largesse. And if he's just going to potter about causing no problems, I'm more than delighted to let him stay. He's rather sweet, as it happens - and as I said, has an impressive turn of speed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back