Snail question,

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

outofwater

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, so during setup of my 29 gallon I decided to add snails, and got 3. A nerite, a mystery, and an assassin. I'll come clean and admit I had no idea that the assassin honors its name, I just thought it looked cool.

I'm glad he didn't starve, because I have no infestation and I suppose he was scavenging fish food (been about 3 weeks or so).

anyway, after missing for 3 days I finally spotted him today, on top of the mystery guy. Doesn't look like it did any damage, after I separated them the mystery moved OK, but it's obvious that the assassin was positioning itself because it was just trying to eat. I pulled him out and put him in a cup with a protein wafer, which he seems to take a liking to.

But what do I do long term? I like its look and I doubt the store will take him back, although I haven't asked yet. Plus you never know, he might come handy, as I plan to add more plants and from what I've read that's how you get hitch-hiker snails that then become pests. if and until that happens, I also don't want it to kill the nerite or the mystery. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Also if there is a different sub forum to post this to let me know.

Pictures for fun, because I didn't realize this is how it looks when it's feeding, that's straight out of a science fiction movie.

And pic of the mystery patrolling the glass, seems to me he has grown a bit since I got him.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20220118_194115.jpg
    20220118_194115.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220118_193542.jpg
    20220118_193542.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220118_192848.jpg
    20220118_192848.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 47
I once bought an assassin without knowing it was one. It was in a tank at the store labelled algae eating snails :oops:

There is a Shrimp & Other Invertebrates forum but Tropical Discussion is OK as well :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back