Snail problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gregegory

Reaction score
Hi all am a new member here just registered today and this is my 30 gallon tank. Anyone have any suggestions how to get rid of what I believe to be tadpole snails. I have been physically removing them but their population continues to increase in this third week of a fish less cycle
E0A308D2-1A7E-401B-B4D3-49F760B4BEAA.jpeg

Hi all am a new member here just registered today and this is my 30 gallon tank. Anyone have any suggestions how to get rid of what I believe to be tadpole snails. I have been physically removing them but their population continues to increase in this third week of a fish less cycle View attachment 118286
Welcome! I'm not sure on the snails but just wanted to say your tank looks amazing!!!

Most snail problems stem from overfeeding/over abundance of food for the snails. I see you're doing a fishless cycle - are you doing this with ammonia or a different method? Have you had any algae problems?

I have "pest" snails in my tank. As long as I keep up on maintenance and don't overfeed, their population stays at a normal level. If I slack on a water change or overfeed, I can see more of them appear and I know I need to up my maintenance/feed less. I appreciate them for that, as they are a good way for me to gauge the healthiness of my tank.

You say you're removing them manually - as in picking them out by hand? If you google how to make a snail trap, it's quite easy and effective. You just take a water bottle, snip off the top and place a piece of cucumber or other vegetable inside, then replace the top piece but inverted. Place it in the tank at night when you turn the lights off, then take it out in the morning and dispose of the snails.

ETA: Your tank is gorgeous!

Hi all am a new member here just registered today and this is my 30 gallon tank. Anyone have any suggestions how to get rid of what I believe to be tadpole snails. I have been physically removing them but their population continues to increase in this third week of a fish less cycle View attachment 118286
Use a trap, sera snails trap works great
Anyway what are you using for the substrate, really likes it.

Yes, I agree the best thing to do is to keep your tank clean and don't overfeed. You could also get an assassin snail who eats other snails. That would help keep the numbers down a bit.

Thanks for the advice, will try the trap !
Yes, I agree the best thing to do is to keep your tank clean and don't overfeed. You could also get an assassin snail who eats other snails. That would help keep the numbers down a bit.
Thanks
Thanks again ! The substrate am using is “Fluval Stratum“

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back