FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Nadia Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,
Iā€™m currently struggling with a tank overrun with snails! I have researched ways to get rid of them or at least control the population, but as my tank is only 54l, clown or yo-yo loaches will grow too large. I have one assassin snail that I put in recently but I havenā€™t seen it since and there are so many snails. I have three corydoras but they seem uninterested in the snails. If anyone has any suggestions as to what fish will be useful in snail population control for a smaller tank, please let me know :)
Thanks ?

Have you tried reducing feeding and manually removing the snails?

Have you tried reducing feeding and manually removing the snails?
Hi thank you for replying, yes I have tried both of those but they seem to multiply faster than I can manually get rid of them haha ?

Can you give the water parameters and details of the fish you already have. Personally I can't think of any fish to help, you have already researched loaches as being too big and pea puffers are species only, but there may be something I missed. Someone may be able to help with methods for trapping the snails to make removal easier.

Couldn't think how to explain, skip to 1:03

Limit feeding of the tank. This will not work in a day or 2. There is plenty of food in there, so they are going to multiply.

Cut a slice of cucumber or zuc and get that on the bottom of the tank overnight. In the morning you will have a bunch on it. Take it out of the tank and do with as you please. Repeat as needed.

Or....once they exhaust the food supply, the population will diminish naturally.

Iā€™m currently struggling with a tank overrun with snails!
LOL :)

DEATH TO SNAILS :)

---------------------
Don't put any food in the tank for a couple of days. Then put an algae wafer or something similar in. Wait an hour and the snails should gather on it. Then use a net to scoop them out. Do that once a week and you will reduce their numbers.

Depending on what species of snail, you can poison them with salt or copper.

*WARNING* copper will kill shrimp and all species of snail so if you have shrimp, you will need to move then during treatment.

I've had a snail problem ever since I bought a plant from a garden centre and it can with pond snails attached. Even after cleaning I still had them, this is what I have done and it is so far working (ish). Firstly. find out where the snails are breeding, if you look under wood, around plants and on ornaments, you should find the orgy room. This will usually consist of loads of adult snails going down to the smallest size. Next, take the ornaments, wood, plants and all else that has snails on it and take them to the outside tap. Thirdly, blast the item with water so that the snails all fall away. Four, do this every time you clean the tank and you will be on the way to eradicating a lot of the problem. Next, cut out the feeding. Go back to the "pinch once a day" advice. After doing all the above I have drastically cut down on my snail population. Unlikely that I will ever get rid of the lot though ;)

I completely cleaned my tank to get rid of snails after days and days of waking up and having to crush them. The fish went into a bucket with the nitrifying bacteria on the media, the water was siphoned out, the gravel and plants were thrown away, and then I bleached the whole thing before rinsing it for what felt like a thousand times. The snails drove me to it. I now bleach new plants in a 10% solution before rinsing and adding them to the tank and, so far, no snails. They're so cute with their little ways, but it felt so good to know they were gone.
The tank needed a bit of care cycling back to the right parameters, but No More Snails!

I must admit, I can take most things in a tank. Even Algea is OK to a certain point, but when it comes to snails its a no-no. Just when you have spent the afternoon cleaning the tank, rearranging the ornaments, feeding the fishes, cleaning the filter, checking the pump and, at last, a cup of tea and a sit down to admire your handy work. And, as you sit there, feeling so smug with your handiwork, this little pea thing is making its way up the glass of your newly polished aquarium. Its the easiest way to destroy a great vibe, yet so small.

I've been treating one of my tanks with aquatic snail remover. It works really well. Just make sure to do a week or two of treating to get all the hatching ones as well. The treatment doesn't kill eggs.

This is the type I use.
20210116_152049.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back