Snail leaving it's shell?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

iceviper22

Reaction score
Is there a reason that a freshwater snail could or would come completely out of it's shell? -_-
I have a black mystery snail that has done this and it continues to crawl around the tank unprotected. Is it dieing? Does it need a new shell to live in like a hermit crab? Do they grow new shells somehow? I couldn't find much help browsing webpages and am new to the snail lifestyle. If anyone has any idea about this, let me know, I've no clue. Thanks a lot.

Is it completely out of it's shell? Or does it just look like he is really out, but the shell is still "trailing along" with him? If it is the latter, don't worry, your snail is fine. If it is the former, that should not be the case, and if your snail isn't dead now, he soon will be. Snails do not leave their shell, the shell grows as they do.

\Dan

I was wondering the same thing! This morning I looked into my tank and noticed my snail climbing on the air line tubing. I did a double take when I realized he was out of his shell! Why would he do that?! I was soooooo upset. Ohhh well. At least I got to see what a shell-less snail looks like. Another one bites the dust. :sad:

The snail is completely out of the shell, so it sounds like it is on the verge of dieing. I just wasn't sure since it continues to crawl around yet without the shell. Thanks for the help.

I don't think snaily will last for too long. Sorry.

ummm this is weird... Snails cannot leave their shells, its apart of them. so i dont really know what you are talking about...

samthefishman said:
ummm this is weird... Snails cannot leave their shells, its apart of them. so i dont really know what you are talking about...
You're right, this is weird. Maybe snails can't come out of their shells, but they obviously did for 2 people, one of those being me. And I know what I saw.

what are the chances of a snail leaving his shell to find another?? they are not like hermit crabs, Snails make their shells as it is a part of them.

Maybe he is confused and wants to be the worlds first freshwater slug!!
Sorry shouldn't find it funny but the thought of a naked snail is making me laugh! :whistle:

Yes Sam, we're both lying. I came online to lie to you and see what kind of reactions I could get. :rolleyes:

Aparantly I'm not the first that this happened to from the looks of it and yes, it does happen, unfortunatley, it's the snail dying. He ended up just kind of floating around and I declared him dead and pulled him out along with the left over shell. Thanks anyway for the input from those that actually tried to help rather than act like I was making up stories.

yes, snails do come out of their shells
just go to the petstore, and look at the snail tank, you should see lot's of empty shells
and i was at this website about snails, and this "snail expert" said that the only way to tell if your snail is male or female is to take it out of the tank and put it on it's back, and wait for it to come out
what's the point of sexing a dead snail?

Sometimes our puffers will suck a snail right out of its shell, then spit out the shell-less snail. The 'slug' will then crawl around for a short while before getting eaten or dying.

Snails are not supposed to come out of their shells, but sometimes they don't have a say in the matter!

No, healthy and well snails do not. Sick, dying, or "forcibly removed" snails might.

just go to the petstore, and look at the snail tank, you should see lot's of empty shells
A tank full of dead snails is not where I would be shopping. Empty shells = dead snails, not a bunch of "naked snails" roaming the tank. This is not a sign of a good pet shop (unless the snails are in a tank as food, for loachs for example).

and i was at this website about snails, and this "snail expert" said that the only way to tell if your snail is male or female is to take it out of the tank and put it on it's back, and wait for it to come out
Yes, waiit for the snails to "come out" of it's shell so that it can move around. Not completely exit the shell and move about "naked". Do you have an URL for this site? I'd like to see this website that tells you a snail completely leaves it's shell.

\Dan

FishDan said:
No, healthy and well snails do not. Sick, dying, or "forcibly removed" snails might.

A tank full of dead snails is not where I would be shopping. Empty shells = dead snails, not a bunch of "naked snails" roaming the tank. This is not a sign of a good pet shop (unless the snails are in a tank as food, for loachs for example).

Yes, waiit for the snails to "come out" of it's shell so that it can move around. Not completely exit the shell and move about "naked". Do you have an URL for this site? I'd like to see this website that tells you a snail completely leaves it's shell.

\Dan
the store i went to was petco, i went to buy some apple snails, and when i asked the lady who worked there she said all the snails were dead (which they were) and to come back when they get a new shipment
instead, i went to petlanddiscounts and found only 2 live applesnails :grr: i bought them
here is the link to the "snail expert" it's www.applesnail.net
http://www.applesnail.net/
at the site, go to the faq, and one of the questions asks how to sex a snail
it then says the whole lying on it's back thing :no:

Most reactions

trending

Back