Snail Infestation

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hazarrd

Reaction score
See attached images. I've had this 70-gallon tank for 5+ years and never seen this before. I have not added anything new to the tank in the last year or so and, in general, nothing has changed recently. I started seeing this a few weeks ago and didn't look very closely. I thought it was food flakes sticking to the inside of the glass. I took a closer look today and realized these things are living. Are these snails? What do I do?

Attachments

• Snail1.jpg
    Snail1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 223
  • Snail2.jpg
    Snail2.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 254
They look like little baby Malaysian livebearer snails that normally live in the substrate. They can be introduced with water, plants, ornaments or anything from a contaminated tank. I would squish them because I hate them. Others on here will say leave them alone.

The white lines on the glass could be detritus worms. If these are crawling on the glass, it would suggest the tank is dirty and needs a clean.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Then do a 75% water change and gravel clean once a week after that.
*NB* Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

If the filter hasn't been cleaned in the last 2 weeks, clean that too. Wash filter materials in a bucket of tank water. Filters should be cleaned at least once a month and every 2 weeks is better.

See attached images. I've had this 70-gallon tank for 5+ years and never seen this before. I have not added anything new to the tank in the last year or so and, in general, nothing has changed recently. I started seeing this a few weeks ago and didn't look very closely. I thought it was food flakes sticking to the inside of the glass. I took a closer look today and realized these things are living. Are these snails? What do I do?

I had a similar issue but no where near as many snails, I’m pretty certain mine came in with some live plants I had introduced. I introduced 2no yo yo / Pakistani loaches into my tank and have never seen the snails since. The loaches suck the snail out of their shells and love eating them, they should help the problem too. Good luck

They certainly look like snails. Have you put in any new plants or decor from another tank? I have Malaysian trumpet snails myself but they never climb on the glass.

Do you have any fish in the tank? If so what type of fish do you have? What temp is the tank at? There are many types of fish that will eat your problem away, but then again you want to make certain that your tank's community is somewhat compatible including plants that you don't want to see get ravaged.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back