Snail identification please?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Biancah76

Reaction score
I've just found this little snail in one of the tanks, I know it's small but can anyone identify it for me?

Attachments

• IMG_20220818_202947.jpg
    IMG_20220818_202947.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 48
Too small a picture to see it well. If you detach the snail from the glass and post a picture of the other side (apertural view), it will show whether it has an operculum (trap door) or not. I suspect that is DOES.
Regardless, this will allow to narrow down the possibilities and to provide a reasonable id.
From the shape, I would guess that it does have an operculum, and that it is either a baby apple snail (Ampullariidae), or a baby mystery snail (Viviparidae). However, the additional image should resolve the issue.

Too small a picture to see it well. If you detach the snail from the glass and post a picture of the other side (apertural view), it will show whether it has an operculum (trap door) or not. I suspect that is DOES.
Regardless, this will allow to narrow down the possibilities and to provide a reasonable id.
From the shape, I would guess that it does have an operculum, and that it is either a baby apple snail (Ampullariidae), or a baby mystery snail (Viviparidae). However, the additional image should resolve the issue.
I doubt it's an apple or mystery snail
I'm like 95.001% sure it's a pest snail

I doubt it's an apple or mystery snail
I'm like 95.001% sure it's a pest snail

Apple snails are ranked among the worst agricultural and human health pest snails worldwide.
But the suggested picture is what counts, not my guess or yours. Cheers!

Thank you all for your posts, I'm terrible at taking photos because my right shoulder is busted, I hope it's clearer now.. it is definitely a pest snail regardless, I've no idea where it could have come from! If anyone feels different feel free to send your email and I'll post to you!! Lol
I would like to know age estimates too please, I'm already feeling like gutting the tank and I've only seen the one!

Attachments

• IMG_20220819_102155.jpg
    IMG_20220819_102155.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 46
Other side, it righted itself in no time, had to swirl cup to keep it upside down long enough to take photo! I got the sand sieve out and moved 3 assassins in there yest, but that was all I could dig out/ find, I suspect it's too late for that & they don't stand a chance & I'm gonna spend the weekend starting over 🙁 I imported MTS into another tank on a plant before ( I gutted the tank soon as I saw a few moving white dot's and have kept assassin's ever since, but not in the shrimp tank), I always bleach new plants now, and that tank hasn't had any new additions since about Feb.. I've taken cuttings from it for another tank, which scares me but.. I dont understand.. surely I would have noticed them by now..

Attachments

• IMG_20220819_104653.jpg
    IMG_20220819_104653.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 43
It's a ramshorn snail, one of the species which stays small. Where's there's one there will be more. They breed by laying eggs in a clear jelly attached to something and very hard to spot.
I have these snails and another species of pest snail (the ones called bladder or pond or trapdoor snails) and as long as their numbers don't explode they are actually useful in a tank. The main cause of a snail overpopulation is overfeeding the fish as they eat left over fish fish food.

It's a ramshorn snail, one of the species which stays small. Where's there's one there will be more. They breed by laying eggs in a clear jelly attached to something and very hard to spot.
I have these snails and another species of pest snail (the ones called bladder or pond or trapdoor snails) and as long as their numbers don't explode they are actually useful in a tank. The main cause of a snail overpopulation is overfeeding the fish as they eat left over fish fish food.
You think they might have survived me bleach rinsing new plants in feb and been so small I haven't seen them all that time?? Would you say it is an adult?
Fingers crossed I haven't already spread them to my 4ft with cuttings then :(
I can't say it's an overpopulation, YET! but it is an unwelcome one!
Looks like i'm gonna need to dig out some more assassins because I really don't like any asexual snails.

Yup that's ramshorn

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back