Snail ID and questions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

How many snails will be in my tank in 3-4 weeks?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 2-4

• 5-9

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 10+

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters
Aren't there different species of ramshorn? I thought ramshorn was a general term for any planispiral shelled snail.
Bettas do and will nip at the eye stalks of snails; you have a pretty nice looking ramshorn there...prepare for more.

Bettas do and will nip at the eye stalks of snails; you have a pretty nice looking ramshorn there...prepare for more.

That's why I'm planning on moving him to separate tank. Looks like I'll be starting a snail only tank, I just need to figure out what size I need. I'm not sure there will be more... I had two at one point then one died. It's been almost a month and Gary still appears to be the only snail in the tank.

Last edited:
That's why I'm planning on moving him to separate tank. Looks like I'll be starting a snail only tank, I just need to figure out what size I need. I'm not sure there will be more... I had two at one point then one died. It's been almost a month and Gary still appears to be the only snail in the tank.
You might get lucky, it's rare to have only 1 "pest" snail....totally a personal preference, though, if you like him/her, nothing wrong with that :)

Ramshorn in a term used for planorbid snails in general. There are several species of planorbid ranging from those pest snails which don't grow more than a few mm to the really big ones we pay good money for and come in a variety of colours.
There's also the Colombia giant ramshorn which is actually an ampulariid, the same family as apple/mystery snails.

Ramshorn in a term used for planorbid snails in general. There are several species of planorbid ranging from those pest snails which don't grow more than a few mm to the really big ones we pay good money for and come in a variety of colours.
There's also the Colombia giant ramshorn which is actually an ampulariid, the same family as apple/mystery snails.

I assume since mine has grown considerably and is around 1.5-2 cm (estimated, tank light is off right now) then it's probably one of the larger species. Neat!

Most reactions

Back