Snail food supplement for low GH

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
That has the same parameters as mine, unfortunately - no mention of calcium or magnesium in the water quality report. So we cannot know how much of our hardness is calcium and how much is magnesium unless we testers for them.
A few manufacturers do make calcium and magnesium testers if you want to take it that far (API make calcium, jbl make calcium & magnesium. Those are the ones I've looked at)
I'll skip the extra expense of testers and spend the money on snail stix instead. I'd probably only find the results indicated that is what I should do.

Relavent information from your water quality report:

Nitrate 11.3
Phosphorous 38
PH 8.1
Magnaese .013
Iron .012.57
Chlorine .51
GH (degrees) 49.8 (2.8)
All values are in mg/l or PPM

For GH I used a aquarium fertilizer calculator to convert it to as CaCO3 and it then listed the degrees GH which I then divided by 17.8 to convert to PPM.

Your GH is just high enough for shrimp (assuming there is magnesium in your water which is likely) Or you could boost your Gh by 1 degree with a commercial GH booster to insure you have enough Magnesium

Everything I listed above is an essential plant nutrient. Iron and manganese however have to be soluble for plants to use them. However for for treated water they might be insoluble.and thus not available. Either way you might not have enough iron or manganese (although your fish will add some)

Your water is chlorinated so most of it is in a safe chloride form with a small amount as Free Cl. So you must use a dechlorinator.

Phosporous is normally listed as Phosphate (PO4) on fertilizers. I tried to convert that to phosphate but I came up with a value of 118 PPM. IT that iseeams very high. I only need 1 PPM in my tank

Eitherway you don't need to add any nitrate or phosphate or chloride to your aquarium. Your GH is just high enough for shrimp (assuming there is magnesium in your water which is likely) Or you could boost your Gh by 1degree with a commercial GH booster to insure you have enough Magnesium

Relavent information from your water quality report:

Nitrate 11.3
Phosphorous 38
PH 8.1
Magnaese .013
Iron .012.57
Chlorine .51
GH (degrees) 49.8 (2.8)
All values are in mg/l or PPM

For GH I used a aquarium fertilizer calculator to convert it to as CaCO3 and it then listed the degrees GH which I then divided by 17.8 to convert to PPM.

Your GH is just high enough for shrimp (assuming there is magnesium in your water which is likely) Or you could boost your Gh by 1 degree with a commercial GH booster to insure you have enough Magnesium

Everything I listed above is an essential plant nutrient. Iron and manganese however have to be soluble for plants to use them. However for for treated water they might be insoluble.and thus not available. Either way you might not have enough iron or manganese (although your fish will add some)

Your water is chlorinated so most of it is in a safe chloride form with a small amount as Free Cl. So you must use a dechlorinator.

Phosporous is normally listed as Phosphate (PO4) on fertilizers. I tried to convert that to phosphate but I came up with a value of 118 PPM. IT that iseeams very high. I only need 1 PPM in my tank

Eitherway you don't need to add any nitrate or phosphate or chloride to your aquarium. Your GH is just high enough for shrimp (assuming there is magnesium in your water which is likely) Or you could boost your Gh by 1degree with a commercial GH booster to insure you have enough Magnesium
Thank you for this. I knew my phosphates were high from the plague of diatoms!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back