Snail Eggs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I brought some Algae Wafers today for the snails, however the fish are always nipleing at them.

Is they a good way to ensure the snails will get too them? I've seen snail feeders on action site, but not sure if any good :/

Don't worry about the snails, they always seem to find a way to get food no matter what, so don't put out food specifically just for them, if they happen to the find algae wafers thats meant for livestock, then thats fine.

If you add too much food, the snail population will continue to rise and possibly you'll find you will be overrun with too many snails, so keep feeding to a minimum if you can.

Don't worry about the snails, they always seem to find a way to get food no matter what, so don't put out food specifically just for them, if they happen to the find algae wafers thats meant for livestock, then thats fine.

If you add too much food, the snail population will continue to rise and possibly you'll find you will be overrun with too many snails, so keep feeding to a minimum if you can.
Thank you.

Eggs are easy too remove if it gets too that stage :)

Yes, these snail eggs are very easy to remove, though they can lay quite a lot of eggs and they are easy to miss especially if on underside of plant leaves so its not so obvious every time to see these eggs.

Would it be okay to use a breading box with just the snails in, then that way I can just incress salt for snails and not the fish?

Would it be okay to use a breading box with just the snails in, then that way I can just incress salt for snails and not the fish?

Why do you want to add the snails into the breeder box for adding salt?

I assume that salt will certainly harm them if not kill them, if that’s the plan, no need for the breeder box, just dispose of the snails however you like.

Why do you want to add the snails into the breeder box for adding salt?

I assume that salt will certainly harm them if not kill them, if that’s the plan, no need for the breeder box, just dispose of the snails however you like.
Because they need barkish water too breed. I don't wanna risk putting enouth in main tank incase it effects the fish.

What exactly do you mean by breeder box - one of those boxes that sit inside the tank? they usually have slits in so the water can flow though.

A separate tank would be better to try and hatch nerite eggs. And it's not common salt, sodium chloride, aquarium salt that you need but marine salt as used by marine fish keepers. And you need to prepare to feed the newly hatched larvae.

This has descriptions on how to breed nerites and what to feed the larvae towards the end of the article.

Ah of course, sorry, I got this thread mixed up with another thread about pond/bladder, now it makes sense, Nerite snails.

Yes, nerites do require brackish waters in order for nerite egg larvae to survive.

But you need to get the salinity right, think its between 5 to 10 ppt, then you will need to feed the tiny larvae thats hatched with green algae / water or spirulina powder food at least 2 or 3 times a day daily and you'll also need to produce algae almost 24/7 so a light on the tank constntly will probaby be required to keep alage growth, but other than that, thats about as much as I know about breeding nerites. very much a case of trial and error I think to make this work.

I did study doing this years ago but found it to be too much time and trouble for me with a kid and full time job so did not progress with this.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back