Snail Eggs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

letssetup

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey,

I was cleaning my tank out last week and I found snail eggs on the wood.

I have two zebra nerits snails in my tank.
I've been reading online, but people say so many different things :(

IMG_20200928_141005.jpg

One of the websites says "The eggs adopt a capsule-like shape. They are white in color. After two to three days, they turn to larvae. Small snails begin to appear after about a week."

So, I'm guessing they aren't going too turn into snails then? Because been over a week I think.

I don't wanna get rid of them, if they are going too become snails.

I think they have only started breading because I've been useing API salt.

Thank you.

Nerites don't hatch as they need brackish water (which very few of us run)
You'll be safe, just brush them off and gravel vac the base

My understanding is barkish water is salty, but not as salty has sea water. With me adding API salt recently, I thought maybe they would hatch?

Brackish water is not quite as simple as that to be honest.

You don’t want to be overrun with nerites because if there’s not enough algae on glass or plants and without feeding algae wafers or suchlike, they will starve and die basically.

So best with just one or two nerites per tank really.

Definitely Nerite snail eggs. They do not hatch in freshwater, and must be reared in brackish water.

They are annoying to say the least... just remove the, if you are u happy with the looks of them.

I loved my Nerite snails. I had the yellow and black ones with little horns. I didn't mind the white eggs and would just scrape them off and they really did a great job helping maintain the tank.
Also, they were with my betta, who tolerated them just fine. I used to call them his "pets!"

Is it possible too bread them in tank that fish are in?

The other reason that nerites are very difficult to breed is that the eggs hatch to planktonic larvae. They have to be fed i=on green water for them to survive. So even if you have the salinity right, the chances of the larvae surviving is small.

The salt in brackish water is not common salt (as in aquarium salt) it is marine salt, a mixture of different kinds of salt.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back