FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

madmonkey04

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi i have had snail eggs on the side of my tank for 23 days now and they haven't hatched can someone help.

Sorry, I can't hatch them..... ;)

Seriously, though, what sort of snail are we talking about?

My goodness, I remember being quite excited about seeing my 1st few batches of snails eggs...it wears off quite quickly!

Yeah, the type of snails might help but if you've maybe just got some bladder/pond snails they could take up to a month to start getting out of control and hatching all over the place. If you can see 1 batch of eggs, there will no doubt be more...

What sort of snail would indeed be helpful. My mystery snails are obviously female, I have had some clusters hatch and others (from the first few clusters) not hatch, I am of the opinion they were not fertilised.  The new clusters are obviously fertilised (despite my male being switched to another tank with one female and then passing on, the females can store sperm for up to six months). I now have something over 40 babies in one tank (decreasing as the fish pick them off and eat them, but I should end up with a manageable number).

A pic of your snails and perhaps of your snail eggs would help identify which species you have.

Most likely will be one of three species, mystery, pond/pest, and Nerite snails.

But without a picture or id of snails, very difficult to help help out with any more advice really.

This is a link to a site i find useful for some snail species, particularly Nerite Snails, some good basic information on snails as well as shrimps.

http://www.planetinverts.com/tracked_nerite_snail.html

This site also has pond snails as well as Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS), so you could try comparing pics to see if you can identify what you have in your tank :)

Hope that help a little bit

I assume that since you have no idea what sort of snail you have, that you didn't buy it (otherwise you'd know), so it's a fair assumption that they are pest snails.

If that's right, then take the eggs out, because pest snails can multiply exceptionally quickly.

Yup, I agree, TLM, they're cute at 1st but a massive pain in the buttocks after a while!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back