Snail appeared in tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Martymc01

Reaction score
Hi I have just noticed a small snail in my tank of mollys and tetra neons but have no idea how it got there and want to know if it is dangerous

Attachments

• IMG_20201203_163926.jpg
    IMG_20201203_163926.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20201203_163956.jpg
    IMG_20201203_163956.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 41
Hmm! I don't know what kind of snail that is, but someone who does will probably be by at some point. in the meantime, it would be helpful to get some more information about your tank. How old is it? did you get it used? Did you recently add plants or driftwood or new animals?

it's pretty common for snails to hitchike in on the most random of things, and their eggs can also be pretty hardy. In most cases they are harmless, unless they overrun your tank at which point they can turn into a nuisance.

It's one of the species of physid snail, commonly called pond, tadpole and bladder snails.

They are not harmful; in fact they are useful tank residents as long as you don't let them take over. They multiply out of control if they have too much food. To control their numbers don't over feed the fish, and keep the bottom clean of uneaten food and fish poop. If you have gravel on the bottom of the tank, deep clean it with the siphon tube during a water change.

Hmm! I don't know what kind of snail that is, but someone who does will probably be by at some point. in the meantime, it would be helpful to get some more information about your tank. How old is it? did you get it used? Did you recently add plants or driftwood or new animals?

it's pretty common for snails to hitchike in on the most random of things, and their eggs can also be pretty hardy. In most cases they are harmless, unless they overrun your tank at which point they can turn into a nuisance.
Hi and thanks for the reply, the funny thing is that all my plants etc are plastic so I am oblivious as to how it got there. I have removed it from the tank and will keep an eye out for any more.
My tank is only 2 months and bought from new so I have been careful as to what I am adding to it

Hi I have just noticed a small snail in my tank of mollys and tetra neons but have no idea how it got there and want to know if it is dangerous
I just found 2 snails in my 20gal tank just like yours. going to take to pet store to find out about it, will let you know about it.

Brilliant it would be interesting to know what they are.
Pond snails. They’re harmless to your plants and fish. They’re easily overlooked when packaging plants and sometimes fish to the pet stores and from there to your home aquariums. They eat algae and waste and aren’t a problem as long as they don’t have enough food available to multiply to the point of overrunning your tank. If you’ve got some species of loaches in your tank it’s nothin but a snack for them

I crush them, and my dwarf frogs like the meat. I have a Fluval tank with all the media hidden at the back, and it's a bit of a snail hatchery :/

That's a Bladder snail. I like to have about 20 in my 40 gallon planted.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back