Smaller Crickets for Leopard Gecko?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Can you feed adult leopard geckos smaller crickets then they are supposed to eat?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

fishperson100

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am interested in keeping leopard geckos, so I'm researching them before I do any buying : ) I was wondering, since they eat crickets, and that is probably what I'd feed them, can you feed adult leopard geckos smaller crickets than they are supposed to eat? (And then just feed them more?) I read that smaller crickets don't chirp, and I really don't want chirping crickets in the house. Is that possible? Also, if I can't feed them the smaller crickets, is there a way to keep the larger ones from chirping besides taking the wings or legs off? Thanks!

Geckos will eat anything small and moving. I currently have one in my house and it is currently eating daddy long leg spiders. They need a variety of food, not just crickets and you should try to culture a variety of different insects for them to eat. They will eat aphids (found on roses), wingless fruit flies, fly maggots that are clean, small earthworms, cockroachs, moths, flour weevil larvae, small mealworms, some eat ants but only add 1 or 2 ants at a time otherwise the ants swarm the gecko. Crickets and most other non toxic insects are fine.

Just make sure any insects you use are free of chemicals or pesticides.

You can feed them small insects and it is easier for the gecko if they eat small insects rather than large ones. But make sure they chew their food. Some crickets can damage their stomach if swallowed whole.

Get a reptile vitamin powder and sprinkle it over the food before you give it to the geckos.

Most geckos are nocturnal and don't require a U/V light but some might. Check the individual requirements for the species you are keeping but they probably won't need it.

How to choose zublefare https://whatarereptiles.com/leopard-gecko/? First, decide on the morph (color): the price of a zublefar varies from the rarity of the morph. Secondly, choose a trusted breeder: it is important to know that he has healthy bison. Thirdly, look at the state of zublefare: the tail should be chubby, elastic, all fingers and nails should be whole, eyes clean. Carefully see if there is any skin left from molting, this may be an indicator of gecko disease.

I was wondering, since they eat crickets, and that is probably what I'd feed them, can you feed adult leopard geckos smaller crickets than they are supposed to eat?
Crickets are an absolute pain in general, they get into any form of wood etc and when you need to clean the tank out they can still be lodging there, i used to have a Super hypo tangerine carrot tail and she loved her 6 locust daily.

another good option is mealworms or superworms, you just keep them in the fridge and you don't have to really take care of them, maybe add some carrots for nutritional value
I tried my blaze with these you've mentioned and it was a no go when i had her,very choosy for a gecko

This is an old thread. I doubt you will get a response from the OP.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back