Small tank set up

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I've purchased a mobile kitchen rack online at IKEA. I'm using this as a small rack for three tanks on the window sill. It works perfectly. It's very stable.
Thanks to IKEA... ?

Attachments

• IMG_0702[1].JPG
    IMG_0702[1].JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0703[1].JPG
    IMG_0703[1].JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0705[1].JPG
    IMG_0705[1].JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 63
What size tanks are those?
What is the load rating for the shelf?

I'm guessing you are wanting algae in the tanks, being next to a window?

i like small tanks. how did you get your fish to not use a heater?

What size tanks are those?
What is the load rating for the shelf?

I'm guessing you are wanting algae in the tanks, being next to a window?
40 x 18 x 20cm each tank. It didn't refer to a max. load of each shelf. But I've tested it and it can hold 25 liter (which is equal to 25kg). Wouldn't try more though...
Well, this is at the north side of the house. Yes, some algae may develop but still not that much (what I know from experience overhere).
Oh that's a great unit! It'd be perfect for vivariums and the like. Would you mind sharing the name/link to the rack?
VESKEN
Article number: 004.712.22
Depth: 18 cm Hoogte: 71 cm Width: 54 cm. Total weight: 1.57 kg.
Each shelf is tapered in shape which makes it more steady.
i like small tanks. how did you get your fish to not use a heater?
None of my 80+ tanks have heaters. Room temperature is sufficient in this case. And those that prefer lower temps are located lower in the racks and those that prefer higher temps are located higher. Use the natural way of temperature regulation. A lot of tropical and subtropical fish can be kept fine at room temperature. As long as you don't have too much fluctuations.

40 x 18 x 20cm each tank. It didn't refer to a max. load of each shelf. But I've tested it and it can hold 25 liter (which is equal to 25kg). Wouldn't try more though...
Well, this is at the north side of the house. Yes, some algae may develop but still not that much (what I know from experience overhere).

VESKEN
Article number: 004.712.22
Depth: 18 cm Hoogte: 71 cm Width: 54 cm. Total weight: 1.57 kg.
Each shelf is tapered in shape which makes it more steady.

None of my 80+ tanks have heaters. Room temperature is sufficient in this case. And those that prefer lower temps are located lower in the racks and those that prefer higher temps are located higher. Use the natural way of temperature regulation. A lot of tropical and subtropical fish can be kept fine at room temperature. As long as you don't have too much fluctuations.
what air temp is it in your house?

what air temp is it in your house?
Right now 21°C.
Good work EK. Like yourself IM not paying to heat the house THEN to heat fish tanks.
Just think practical...
My fish are fit and healthy. There are people that think that I'm neglecting my fish by not using heaters and don't have temperatures between 24°C - 28°C. In my opinion, those people just don't know what they're talking about. Most people just focus on the word "tropical". But not every socalled tropical specimen needs high temperatures to keep them well and get them to reproduce. You need to know where they come from. And I don't mean the country right away. But more the area within that specific country to understand what they really need. Firstly, every tropical and subtropical fish has got a margin that they tolerate in temperature. And does a fish originate from a subclimate that's subtropical within a tropical zone? For a lot people don't take that in consideration.

If my fish are in (no matter which species) a poor condition, the way I'm keeping them, I'd gladly invite one over to see that those fish are in a good condition. For I can prove the opposite. I even have an official health certificate hanging in my fishroom. I can be checked randomly in person by this official organization. They'll check if I maintain the fish in the right conditions. Those fish will be checked on bacteria, parasites and illnesses. And the water parameters will be checked.
So yes, I'm a serious hobby breeder which also uses an official organization to back me up. They do know that in general I'm not using the rules of the holiness of the aquarium book. But they also know that my way of maintenance works.
1614546940093.png

Happy day...there were 37 other things I wrote and deleted due to cultural differences and me being from foreign parts over yonder with a different government structure. You have inspired me to write my local officials about creating an agency called Fish Under Care and Kept Environmentally Right. I will offer to become the head of this agency (can you figure out the acronym?) and draft the fee structure. The agency will pay for itself through permit fees based on gallon...no wait...by litre, because we don't use that measurement here, and there's no better way to get money out of a taxpayer than to confuse them.

I will say that I agree with you about temperature. Even if a fish is native to an area, the tank-bred ones certainly aren't subject to fluctuations found in the wild.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back