Small tank ideas?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Zephyrski

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm not particularly new to the fish hobby, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to post this.
My local Petco is having a really nice sale on tanks going on right now to where they're half off. Of course I don't need any new tanks, but if a smaller tank is really cheap I can't pass that up!
Anyways, what would be some ideas for like 1 to 3 gallon tanks? I'd definitely go bigger as they're much better deals, but I don't have the space.
I've always wanted to try out salt water but I'm not sure if they can that small of tanks. Let me know your thoughts! :)

Hi all. I'm not particularly new to the fish hobby, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to post this.
My local Petco is having a really nice sale on tanks going on right now to where they're half off. Of course I don't need any new tanks, but if a smaller tank is really cheap I can't pass that up!
Anyways, what would be some ideas for like 1 to 3 gallon tanks? I'd definitely go bigger as they're much better deals, but I don't have the space.
I've always wanted to try out salt water but I'm not sure if they can that small of tanks. Let me know your thoughts! :)
A) I have absolutely 0 experience in saltwater, so don't quote me on this if it's wrong, but I have read and watched videos of people making extremely small reef tanks, and just have them stock full of corals until you literally cannot put any more anywhere. Of course, you can't put anything into there aside from maybe a shrimp(idk saltwater), but it's still pretty if you have the equipment

B) SHRIMP TANK!!! Shrimp are the coolest, and are really easy to keep. If I had the space and the money, I would make a shrimp only tank with blue bolts. I would also put a nerite in there, but make sure it's a male, otherwise it will lay a bunch of ugly eggs all over the place.

C) If you do a 3 gallon tank, you could do a betta, but that's pushing it in terms of tank size. Many members here will argue that that's too small, and you should have a 5 gal at minimum. Some will even say that a 10 gal would be the smallest. To be honest, I would say 5 gal is best, but if you were to do a 3 gal with a betta, make sure it's planted. And because that's so small, you probably won't even be able to put shrimp in there.

Shrimps also breed fast if the conditions are right, and if your shrimps are pretty, you can sell them for a healthy sum.

A) I have absolutely 0 experience in saltwater, so don't quote me on this if it's wrong, but I have read and watched videos of people making extremely small reef tanks, and just have them stock full of corals until you literally cannot put any more anywhere. Of course, you can't put anything into there aside from maybe a shrimp(idk saltwater), but it's still pretty if you have the equipment

B) SHRIMP TANK!!! Shrimp are the coolest, and are really easy to keep. If I had the space and the money, I would make a shrimp only tank with blue bolts. I would also put a nerite in there, but make sure it's a male, otherwise it will lay a bunch of ugly eggs all over the place.

C) If you do a 3 gallon tank, you could do a betta, but that's pushing it in terms of tank size. Many members here will argue that that's too small, and you should have a 5 gal at minimum. Some will even say that a 10 gal would be the smallest. To be honest, I would say 5 gal is best, but if you were to do a 3 gal with a betta, make sure it's planted. And because that's so small, you probably won't even be able to put shrimp in there.
You got my attention on shrimp tank. 1 gallon seems kinda small for them, or is that just me? I don't know anything about them hah.

Yeah I personally wouldn't put any Betta in a 3 gallon for a long time. I also agree 5 would be the smallest to go, as it isnt as much weight as a 10 gallon so you can put it anywhere that can hold a decent amount of weight..like a counter. In my personal experience Betta just aren't the happiest in 3 gallons

You got my attention on shrimp tank. 1 gallon seems kinda small for them, or is that just me? I don't know anything about them hah.

Yeah I personally wouldn't put any Betta in a 3 gallon for a long time. I also agree 5 would be the smallest to go, as it isnt as much weight as a 10 gallon so you can put it anywhere that can hold a decent amount of weight..like a counter. In my personal experience Betta just aren't the happiest in 3 gallons
If you are able to get a 3 gallon I would, just for the shrimp and snail.

Saltwater would be very hard in that tank, as its small size makes it hard to get to some places to clean, and with all the equipment you'd need, would make the tank like a 2 gallon. Maybe a couple shrimp and snails, and maybe some child Rasboras, but I reckon it's otherwise too small. If you get a 5 gallon, you'd get a lot bigger of a choice. Best of luck, though!

Any under 5 gallons is unsuitable for livestock IMO. Not only is there a lack of space for the fish/shrimp/snail but the water parameters (temp, pH, GH, KH) as well as the nitrogen cycle will be unstable due to the small volume. This is hard on the livestock and problematic for the fishkeeper. Personally I wouldn't enjoy a tiny tank.

Tbh as has already been stated, any "aquarium" under 5 gallons will always be difficult to maintain a healthy water chemistry and very extremely limited as to what can be kept in it without causing harm to the animal(s) concerned by virtue of the small water capacity.

Personally anything smaller than 5 gallons (and even 5 is an absolute bare minimum imho) is only good for use as a terrarium.

Franchise shops make a lot of money by selling off a load of unwanted nano tanks, because many will see them and envisage a little cube of living joy, full of pretty things. Sadly, most of those pretty things will have a brief and traumatic death...so much kudos to you for pausing and asking the questions.

As already said, small tanks are way, way more sensitive to changes in water chemistry and so, contrary to first impression, are actually much harder to maintain than larger tanks.
The actual footprint of a 10 gallon isn't much more than a 5 and would give you way much more flexibility of options.

People nearly always talk about sticking Betta in the small nano tanks, but I strongly believe that this is because there's a hang-over from when Betta were kept in jars and goldfish bowls and a host of other inappropriate vessels. Whilst in their native country, Betta can be found in small puddles and ditches, they'd actually prefer larger spaces, given the choice. The issue then is that Betta are not community-safe and a huge amount of care and caution is required when finding possibly suitable tankmates.

Shrimp and snails are good options and, within the piscine world, there's a whole host of tiny rasbora species that would serve as a shoal for you, with perhaps pygmy gourami species, such as the Sparkling Gourami, for a little more activity and interest.
In a well-planted 10 gallon, you could even have a go at breeding Dwarf Gourami.

With regards saltwater, there's a successful Maidnhead Aquatics store near to me, employing staff who really do know what they're doing. They have a 10 gallon set up as a marine tank and it is apparently a complete 'mare to maintain.

Most reactions

Back