Small Planted Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

donkey

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all
I am thinking about setting up a small planted tank which will hold about 70L. it will have one tube at 15 watts. do you guys think i will be able to grow some low light plants in this tank. if not i could add another tube giving me 30 watts of light. if i did go for the two light set up would i need to add co2 ? i am trying to do without co2 if i can help it. i am just looking for something that will be easy to look after and not having to be in there cutting plants back all the time.

Thanks Guys

15w over 70lt is low to very low light. Hardy, easy plants would grow but very slowly. You'd still be in the low light region with 30w. Either way CO2 would not be vital.

There is a pinned list of easy care plants that would do OK in the tank.

Sam

Hi
so if i went for 30 watts how slow do you think the plants would grow.

Thanks for the help so far guys its all good stuff :good: ok what about if i where to have a Interpet 36 Watt T5 Compact by itself now would i need co2 ? and if i did use this would i be able to grow more plants with this kind of setup. i know its only 36 watts of light but im thinking it would allow me to grow more plants as its a T5 tube.

I have a 70 litre planted tank too
Its got an 18 Watt PC light and an 18 Watt T8 over it. the plants do do well. I have currently shut the CO2 down for a bt and it hasnt made too much of a diff being with out it tbh

Sounds good connorsbala. what im trying to find out is, at what point do you need to start adding co2 would my tank with a 36 Watt T5 Compact by itself need co2.

you need to sart adding co2 when you reach 2WPG so with a 36w you will have about 2.4WPG, this means you will be able to grow almost all the plants available.

If you get a 24w then you wont need co2 and the light will be sufficient for the low light plants.

Not sure which way to go now. so if i stick with 2 T8s i wont need co2. what if i went with a 36w PC could i get away with using Flourish Excel instead of using co2 ?

Not sure which way to go now. so if i stick with 2 T8s i wont need co2. what if i went with a 36w PC could i get away with using Flourish Excel instead of using co2 ?

Sorry whats the 2 x t8's equal again?

Excell is ok but it will be costly! why not invest in a nutrafin kit?

Hi,
I'm in a similiar situation with my 70L. The bulb has just packed up and the fitting for it is old and grubby. I'm thinking of getting an Interpet T5 Compact 36w to replace it. Seems like it will do the job :good:

Hi srem
are you going to be using co2 with the 36w

probably not, just some hardy plants.
is there any reason why the interpet starter units mentioned are so much cheaper than other lighting solutions?

Most reactions

trending

Back