Small-ish growth on my frog’s belly?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

avesb02

Reaction score
I just bought a small albino African clawed frog about 2 days ago. It’s been very active and has a good appetite, but today I just noticed a small bump just on one side of its belly. This is my first time owning an aquatic frog so I’m an amateur, but should I be concerned about this? Thanks for any pointers or help :))

Attachments

• 785ACF9C-41B7-4081-9EE0-88AA1B0B6062.jpeg
    785ACF9C-41B7-4081-9EE0-88AA1B0B6062.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 2E7CC35B-CE18-4728-A151-178A8F50CF11.jpeg
    2E7CC35B-CE18-4728-A151-178A8F50CF11.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 75
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

No it's not normal. It could be the frog ate something like gravel or a snail and that is blocking part of its intestine. Or a growth like a cyst but these normally take a few weeks to grow to size.

I would take it back and swap it for another one.

--------------------
Make sure your water quality is good (no ammonia or nitrite, and nitrate below 20ppm at all times).

If the water looks cloudy, and it looks a bit milky cloudy in the pictures, do a big (75%) water change and gravel clean the substrate.

--------------------
How long has the tank been set up for?
If it's a newly set up aquarium, keep feeding down to 2-3 times a week and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding. Then monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels and do a 75% water change any day there is a reading above 0ppm.

Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

--------------------
The following links have information about frogs and might interest you.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

No it's not normal. It could be the frog ate something like gravel or a snail and that is blocking part of its intestine. Or a growth like a cyst but these normally take a few weeks to grow to size.

I would take it back and swap it for another one.

--------------------
Make sure your water quality is good (no ammonia or nitrite, and nitrate below 20ppm at all times).

If the water looks cloudy, and it looks a bit milky cloudy in the pictures, do a big (75%) water change and gravel clean the substrate.

--------------------
How long has the tank been set up for?
If it's a newly set up aquarium, keep feeding down to 2-3 times a week and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding. Then monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels and do a 75% water change any day there is a reading above 0ppm.

Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

--------------------
The following links have information about frogs and might interest you.

Thank you so much! Sorry I was late to reply. I will definitely do a water change and clean everything. The tank is a couple months old. The lump has mostly gone away actually, I’ve been keeping an eye on it. Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Back