Small Heater?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

23Kim

Reaction score
Hi. Does anyone know of any small heaters that would be ok to use in a plastic Tank for a Betta? The Tank is about 3 Gallons, I know this is very small but I will hopefully be getting a bigger tank soon. Also, will I need a filter or is it ok as long as I do regular water changes at least once a week? My other bigger Tanks are heated and filtered. Thanks in advance.

is it ok as long as I do regular water changes at least once a week?

if you want to make your betta really happyyyy :hyper:

you could do just a small say, 20% waterchange a day? as its not a very big tank :p thats what i would do anyway

Ok thanks :) I'll have a look for a 25W heater. Can you get smaller heaters than this? I'll change about 20% of the water daily then, thank you :)

I use the Hagen Elite mini 25watt heaters, absolutely perfect for heating the smaller tanks. Only drawback is you have to set it's thermostat through trial and error with a seperate thermometer because it doesn't have a temp dial, just higher/lower. Tiny, reliable, perfect in all other ways. On eBay they go for somewhere around £11 each. Which reminds me, I need to go and get meself a few more, one for the spare betta tank I just bought and back-ups for the boys......(scurrying away to sort it out..lol)

EDIT:- 3 gallons is about 13 litres, which is the exact size of my boys' tanks.

ive used heater smaller then 25w but the temps swing wildly and they are not very reliable. a decent 25w is a much safer choice.

i got a 250W one on ebay for a little over £10 with postage, Same ones in the LFS i seen the other day at £18.99 i think.

I'm guessing you mean 25W not 250W lol. So would a 25W heater be ok in a plastic Tank? I've heard that the temperature changes a lot in plastic Tanks.

I think that that is a very good price 2 :) Oh, and another question, my boyfriend is thinking about buying a 20L Arcadia Arc for a Betta, would he be able to have any Tank mates with the Betta?

A 25watt heater should be fine in a plastic tank, although it will be absoultely essential for it to be 'food grade' plastic or a proper purpose made plastic aquarium. Any other type will either melt or over time release very tiny amounts of nasties that will ultimately poison any fish.

The answer to the second question about suitable tankmates for a 20L betta tank is a bit of a contentious issue to some people. An awful lot of people would say that in a 5 gallon like that to leave him alone. Others will say various types of small fish are okay, others will disagree etc. It really depends on what you are looking for. A couple of Pygmy Cories, or Panda Cories, would do okay, an apple snail or 2 would also be cool, as would shrimp as long as they are big enough not to look like food to the betta whom may have a curious nibble at them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back