Small freshwater fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
It isn't a good idea to mix tap and bottled water in differing amounts each time as they will have different parameters. It is better to do water changes using the same ratio of the two at every water change so the parameters remain stable. And use the same brand of bottled water as different brands are from different sources.
Your water quality report should gibe the amounts of various things in your tap water and the label on the bottle should say what's in that. But remember that the water quality report will give the amount in mg/l (mg per 1000ml) while bottled water will use mg per 100 ml.

It isn't a good idea to mix tap and bottled water in differing amounts each time as they will have different parameters. It is better to do water changes using the same ratio of the two at every water change so the parameters remain stable. And use the same brand of bottled water as different brands are from different sources.
Your water quality report should gibe the amounts of various things in your tap water and the label on the bottle should say what's in that. But remember that the water quality report will give the amount in mg/l (mg per 1000ml) while bottled water will use mg per 100 ml.
Great advice thank you! Iā€™m just trying to get rid of the really high no3, will do half tap, half bottle at every change until theyā€™re under 5ppm :)

Replying to post #30...it is unfortunate that all the sites which provide this sort of information are not reliable as "final word." They cannot possibly programme everything one has to consider into the calculations, so at best they are very rough guides. It still takes some human thinking, after research on species from reliable sources.

I may still get some celestial pearls and leave the loach for now, the website aquavisor says Iā€™ll be at 43% stocked with 13 pearls and to do a 10% change weekly, Iā€™d stick to the 25% weekly and see how it goes, I can always get more if theyā€™re unhappy, but from what Iā€™ve read the schooling wears off in a tank over time.

This is not in the best interests of the fish. For one thing, how are you going to know they are "unhappy?" The fact is, you cannot, none of us can because we cannot talk to the fish. All we can do is provide as close to what they require, knowing that this should result in healthy fish. The
fish is what it is because of its genetic blueprint. It needs a group of 20 to be "normal." SF has this clearly stated: "Buy as many as possible, ideally 20 or more, as when larger numbers are present the aggression is spread between individuals plus the fish are bolder, more often-seen, and exhibit better colouration."

I've already mentioned that Aquavisor is not reliable as it cannot possibly include all the factors affecting putting any species in an aquarium.

This is not in the best interests of the fish. For one thing, how are you going to know they are "unhappy?" The fact is, you cannot, none of us can because we cannot talk to the fish. All we can do is provide as close to what they require, knowing that this should result in healthy fish. The
fish is what it is because of its genetic blueprint. It needs a group of 20 to be "normal." SF has this clearly stated: "Buy as many as possible, ideally 20 or more, as when larger numbers are present the aggression is spread between individuals plus the fish are bolder, more often-seen, and exhibit better colouration."

I've already mentioned that Aquavisor is not reliable as it cannot possibly include all the factors affecting putting any species in an aquarium.
I really donā€™t want to put 20 fish in my tank in one go.. can I not do it gradually and build up the numbers? The tank size seems fine as far as I can see but I might have read it wrong šŸ˜‘

If a tank is heavily planted with fast growing plants which are visibly growing, or if a fishless cycle has been carried out it is safe to add a lot of fish in one go. It's fish-in cycling which has to be done a few at a time to allow the bacteria to build up between additions, or where a tank has just a few slow growing plants as they won't be able to deal with the all ammonia made by a tankful of fish.

I agree with essjay. We have assumed this tank will be planted, because the fish species so far discussed need shading from floating plants, and these are often referred to as "ammonia sinks" because of their ability to assimilate ammonia as fast as the fish can produce it. With floating plants that are growing, you could never overload a tank assuming you stay within reason to begin with. Adding 20 CPD or 10 of the rosy loaches for example.

If a tank is heavily planted with fast growing plants which are visibly growing, or if a fishless cycle has been carried out it is safe to add a lot of fish in one go. It's fish-in cycling which has to be done a few at a time to allow the bacteria to build up between additions, or where a tank has just a few slow growing plants as they won't be able to deal with the all ammonia made by a tankful of fish.
Ok thank you ā˜ŗļø I completely agree with all of the above from everyone.. hope to find some nice fish I can have in there soon :)

Another plus for adding the fish as a full shoal is that they will be from the same source. Adding a few different batches will increase the chance of disease, the number of diseases, and the chances of 'new' pathogens which individual fish have not developed much resistance to.

Another plus for adding the fish as a full shoal is that they will be from the same source. Adding a few different batches will increase the chance of disease, the number of diseases, and the chances of 'new' pathogens which individual fish have not developed much resistance to.
Oh yeah, that didnā€™t even cross my mind.. :) hope I can find a nice full tank of pearls somewhere.

Trying to get into the habit of doing something with the tank every few days.. today I added the wood thatā€™s been soaking for two weeks :) the shrimp seem to like the new addition. I also did a bit of gardening.

Attachments

• 012063F5-E22B-4592-894C-298B4C4E3039.jpeg
    012063F5-E22B-4592-894C-298B4C4E3039.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 45
  • EB91834A-42D0-4297-915B-FD3CD0228E93.jpeg
    EB91834A-42D0-4297-915B-FD3CD0228E93.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 9667EA67-BFC7-45A4-9F77-62F009A01BD1.jpeg
    9667EA67-BFC7-45A4-9F77-62F009A01BD1.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 47
I think Iā€™ve found a supplier for the cpds.. Real Aquatics in Aylesbury.
Looks legit and the tanks now at 15ppm nitrate šŸ™Œ going down nicely. Looking forward to seeing some fish in here.. itā€™s been five weeks already.

Attachments

• 2B4A4A75-F819-4E41-8617-BF74FC4583E7.jpeg
    2B4A4A75-F819-4E41-8617-BF74FC4583E7.jpeg
    332.9 KB · Views: 39
I think Iā€™ve found a supplier for the cpds.. Real Aquatics in Aylesbury.
Looks legit and the tanks now at 15ppm nitrate šŸ™Œ going down nicely. Looking forward to seeing some fish in here.. itā€™s been five weeks already.

It's a lovely little tank! Is this your first fish tank? Can tell you've been doing a lot of research and have put a lot of thought and care into it! :)
Ciano 58l 60x30x30
Iā€™ve been looking online at some ideas of what to keep in the tank, Iā€™m not entirely sure I like the look of the pseudomugil, they all look like theyā€™re upside down.
The Endlers Livebearer apparently donā€™t do well in a strong flow and my fluval u2 is pretty good..
Does anyone have any experience with Sarawak Rasbora? They fit my parameters and temps and are apparently quite fun to watch. I also like their colour. Just wondering how many to opt for and what they would possibly pair well with in my tank or if theyā€™d rather be alone?
(GH 10 temp 24c)

For attention, Hereā€™s a pic of one of my shrimp earlier..
Endlers are fine with flow, I've always found that both guppies and Endlers seem to almost play in the output, especially after a filter clean when the flow gets stronger.

I'm a bit confused on the variety of species mentioned - Endler's and Pseudomugli (my pseudos don't look like they're upside down! Hmmff :p;)) are hardwater fish, while CPD and thhe rasbora need softwater. Have you and @Essjay figured out the GH and pH of your water yet? Especially if you're mixing water sources, might be worth investing in the API GH and KH test kit so you can make sure you're keeping them in the right range as you figure out the ratios for the different water sources.

Last edited:
It's a lovely little tank! Is this your first fish tank? Can tell you've been doing a lot of research and have put a lot of thought and care into it! :)

Endlers are fine with flow, I've always found that both guppies and Endlers seem to almost play in the output, especially after a filter clean when the flow gets stronger.

I'm a bit confused on the variety of species mentioned - Endler's and Pseudomugli (my pseudos don't look like they're upside down! Hmmff :p;)) are hardwater fish, while CPD and thhe rasbora need softwater. Have you and @Essjay figured out the GH and pH of your water yet? Especially if you're mixing water sources, might be worth investing in the API GH and KH test kit so you can make sure you're keeping them in the right range as you figure out the ratios for the different water sources.

If you're ever in the Bristol area, there are two big chain fish stores that I don't recommend, and two privately owned LFS. One is called Parkers, which I've never been to, so can't give an opinion on, except that they seemed nice on the phone and were willing to take in a rainbow shark I rescued if I couldn't find a home for it, which the two big chains wouldn't do.

The other private store I do highly recommend! Called simply 'The Fish Store' in Bedminster, Bristol.
It's not a huge store, but they've made the most of the space, with a lot of tanks, healthy and beautiful fish in a wide variety each time I've visited, and they've been fantastic. Lots of nice things in store in terms of tank/wood/decor/shrimp/plants, beautiful, planted display tanks, and lots of nano fish too, not tank busters. I've sung their praises in other threads. But if you want inspiration, guidance, or fish, I personally think they're great and worth a look around. Prices also more reasonable than the chain stores.
Thank you, yes itā€™s kind of my first tank in a while.
We did have a goldfish in here and he only lived 18 months or so. This time I want to get it right. I had one or two tanks in the late 90ā€™s but due to moving out and growing up I forgot about fish.
Iā€™ve been watching tons of YouTube videos about plants and fish and all sorts of other related videos. Just hope this time round goes better than the goldfish trial.
Iā€™m not sure why I think the pseudo look upside down šŸ˜‚ maybe itā€™s their body shape.
Iā€™ve been to so many fish stores over the past month, just watching how the fish behave when theyā€™re together and in good water.
Our little family couldnā€™t agree on the guppies or the endlers so I researched other nano species and found celestial pearl danios.
Iā€™ve read that cpds seem to be ok if they survive the trip and acclimation but to start with everything had to be 110%
I checked my GH and itā€™s around 8/10 and yesterday my KH was at 3 šŸ˜Ø is this the plants?? Keeping close eyes on my tank as the cpds are due on two weeks time.

Thank you, yes itā€™s kind of my first tank in a while.
We did have a goldfish in here and he only lived 18 months or so. This time I want to get it right. I had one or two tanks in the late 90ā€™s but due to moving out and growing up I forgot about fish.
Oh yes, I remember your other thread now! Sorry, I haven't been logging in much lately, and my memory has never been great!
Iā€™ve been watching tons of YouTube videos about plants and fish and all sorts of other related videos. Just hope this time round goes better than the goldfish trial.
Iā€™m not sure why I think the pseudo look upside down šŸ˜‚ maybe itā€™s their body shape.
red neon rainbow.jpg

These are the type I have :D Gotta love those bright blue eyes!
But, they're not for everyone, and definitely don't need to get fish that don't appeal to you! CPD's are gorgeous little fish too, and on my list of nano fish I'd like to have someday :)
celestial-pearl-danio2.jpg

Iā€™ve read that cpds seem to be ok if they survive the trip and acclimation but to start with everything had to be 110%
I checked my GH and itā€™s around 8/10 and yesterday my KH was at 3 šŸ˜Ø is this the plants?? Keeping close eyes on my tank as the cpds are due on two weeks time.

I shouldn't think plants are affecting those, but I'm not great with the chemistry either. What were the numbers before theses latest results? Hopefully @Essjay can help here!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back