Sky Quake???

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

NearMeBettas

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Well....

I was out taking care of my ducks and I heard a very loud sound in the sky. It resembled lightning- but very close lightning. I then heard a few more booms after the first not far apart. I naturally assumed it was lighting but was shocked being it was December- being up by the Canadian border this is almost unheard of. There was a pause of silence... I then heard a few booms followed by a sound that best describes as an airplane flying low where you can hear them- but loader than the average low-flying plain. there were again 3 booms or so and then dead silence. After less than 20 seconds maybe, there were a few more booms than nothing at all. This all happened within a few minutes. I got to look around and try to identify something in the sky. I realized that it wasn't cloudy out AT ALL and I could see stars. Looked up the local weather radar and not a storm for states away.

Any similar situations/experiences guys?

Well....

I was out taking care of my ducks and I heard a very loud sound in the sky. It resembled lightning- but very close lightning. I then heard a few more booms after the first not far apart. I naturally assumed it was lighting but was shocked being it was December- being up by the Canadian border this is almost unheard of. There was a pause of silence... I then heard a few booms followed by a sound that best describes as an airplane flying low where you can hear them- but loader than the average low-flying plain. there were again 3 booms or so and then dead silence. After less than 20 seconds maybe, there were a few more booms than nothing at all. This all happened within a few minutes. I got to look around and try to identify something in the sky. I realized that it wasn't cloudy out AT ALL and I could see stars. Looked up the local weather radar and not a storm for states away.

Any similar situations/experiences guys?
Thats really weird... I've never experienced that. I mean I've heard some strange and unexplained noises before but nothing like that, that's pretty crazy...

Sounds like sonic booms. I bet you had a flight of military planes fly over, going supersonic. That would explain the rushing sound, the booms, and echoes giving you the subsequent booms. We used to hear sonic booms all the time when I was a kid. These days military planes keep it subsonic over populated areas, but there are exceptions.

Sounds like sonic booms. I bet you had a flight of military planes fly over, going supersonic. That would explain the rushing sound, the booms, and echoes giving you the subsequent booms. We used to hear sonic booms all the time when I was a kid. These days military planes keep it subsonic over populated areas, but there are exceptions.
I dont live too far from a military base. They are always doing harrier touch and goes. Every now and then they do V-22 runs. What she describes could very well fit the description of a jet flying over... But for some reason I just don't think that's it

Thunder and conic booms are basically cuased by a pressure pulse in the air. They can be caused by lightening, bulets, aircraft , or meteors passing though air at a velocity faster than the speed of sournd. Explosives can also cause a similar sound. And it is also possible have dry lightening which is cause lightening generated by rapid air movement without the presence of a storm. Buy dry lightening generally only happens in deserts due to excessive heat.

Sonic booms were my first thought after lightning. I have a hard time believing they were though. For 1 I have never heard that before (you would think it would have happened on more than one occasion??). Our state military bases are hours away so I would think that it would have been more likely to be closer to them. We have seen a few military helicopters over the 11 years we have lived here but not many.

I would think it would have made the news in your area as many people would be concerned.

Maybe UFOs breaking the sound barrier.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back