Skinny Cichlids, Not Eating, 1 Dead. Help!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

grahamo

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I had a fish just die on me last week who was very skinny and wouldn't eat anything for months until he finally died. Now I have noticed a couple more of my cichlids have started doing this, and are looking very skinny around the belly.

Could this be a parasite issue, what should I do?

Thanks

Also what are the chances of this being fish tb?

One of them looks pretty tatty, a couple of the others have a few dark marks on them (yellow labs) and have a lost a little colour, but mostly just look skinny. Some are doing white clear long stringy poo's as well. 

Couldnt get any decent photos of the others showing the concave skinny bellys, but heres the tatty looking one, he's been looking bad for a while now, and his stomach is skinnier then it looks in this photo:

IMG_1407.jpg

If they have been getting a proper diet, this might be one of the very few diseases that can affect African Cichlids and as you are finding out, it is usually pretty devastating and very contagious. Tank fulls of fish were lost. I don't remember what it is called or how we treated it. I'm fairly certain that we increased the heat and salt level.

Also what's your water conditions like, Ammonia Nitrite Nitrate what temp are you keeping them at.

Sounds like internal parasite. I would use Esha 2000 its a broad range med that covers lots of problems.

Most reactions

Back