Skimmers

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I'm a little late joining this thread, but I'm hoping for specific info on the AquaC skimmers.

To prep you, I have used CPR and the Superskimmer for ~30ish gal reef tanks. The CPR is barely worth the plastic. It worked OK for the first few months, but hasn't held up very well. The superskimmer is a step above the CPR, but still not that great IMO. The pump is HUGE and looks terrible in the tank, the flow is tempermental, so you'd get it all adjusted for dry or mildly wet skimming, then go to the movies, and return to find the cup overflowed. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKkk!

Several of you suggested the AquaC skimmers. Care to share why you like them? I'm in the market to replace a cruddy CPR and would like to get one that's a tier above the superskimmer. The prices don't seem to be too alarming at all, but I'm growing more skeptical of the cheaper ones since so far they don't seem to work that well.

Thanks!

Well, AquaC skimmers use foam injection to create bubbles which is a MUCH more reliable process. As you've seen, needlewheel/venturi operated skimmers like the CPR or the Superskimmer when the needlewheel is the supply pump are very inconsistent. The efficiency of the impeller changes a lot depending on how much "gunk" is on it and how fast the air is moving into it.

AquaC skimmers seperate the pump from the air injection. Therefore the pump pumps, and the air injector injects air, not 2 functions being done by one thing. Hence the AquaC's are much more consistent. Some tweaking is still required, although I've never heard of anyone complaining of an AquaC venting skimmate on the floor without adding something that decreases surface tension of water.

I've heard the complaint with the Remora that debris can clog the air injector. I don't know how it's put together but if the air inlet is separate from the pump, I'm not sure how that could be the case. Not that it CAN'T clog but if it's not forcing aquarium water through an orifice (instead forcing air from a clean source) then clogging sounds less likely.

Also, the second criticism was that the Pro models are much better than the non-pro. Obviously the pro models pump water at a much higher rate. I guess my question is whether the non-pro will be sufficient for a 29 gal tank, since the lowest flow rate for the pro models is something like 450gal/min. My best guess is that the non-pro is more than enough for my modest sized tank.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, every skimmer ever invented suffers or can suffer from their air inlets possibly clogging due to salt creep :(

I'd imagine a non-pro model would be fine with a 29g so long as you're not trying to grow delicate acropora in there :)

for the price i would think that teh remora isnt worth it. It works on pressure and power, thats why the bigger the model the better since you get a stronger pump with more pressure. Ive also heard complaints at how very loud it is (but there is a mod to fix it) and most people are very displeased with it from what i have seen.

If you are going to get the smaller model get a bigger pump for it, something like a mag drive 3-5 or something.

just thought id share some 2 week gunk :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

still happy :good: w the 220 skimmer obviously doing its job :hyper:

DSC04742.jpg

:blink: :blink: uh dont know why its green ?? :sick: thought that was normal :blink:

its a coralife super skimmer for 220 gal.

I've seen green before, not too wierd :). Heck I've even seen red-purple from when my old sea hare inked :hyper:

my tunze has got a really dark liquid poo color. Its slow though, like its made about 50ml in 2 weeks. I could raise the speed but nah....

Several of you suggested the AquaC skimmers. Care to share why you like them? I'm in the market to replace a cruddy CPR and would like to get one that's a tier above the superskimmer. The prices don't seem to be too alarming at all, but I'm growing more skeptical of the cheaper ones since so far they don't seem to work that well.

Thanks!

I have AquaC Remora pros on three tanks and they work great! I think that they are among the best hang-ons you can buy. Make sure you get them level! They can and will overflow and drip. They are tempermental a bit but a wonderful product.

I wouldn't run the superskimmer on anything larger than a 75gal.

ASM and Euro-reef, by the way, are not under the same ownership. All Seas Marine, Inc is a separate company altogether.

I'd be prepared to upgrade that coralife skimmer once the larger tank is gettign established, depending on stocking levels. But by then you'll have an idea of what you want and can spend to get a really solid skimmer.

Guys, you mentioned along the way there about wet and dry skimming. Got any good pointers so that i can have read through??

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back